Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpadeutsch
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: Advice on selecting WiFi extender

Go to solution

What exactly is a "solid non-interleaved upstream" and how can I achieve this?

I find the delays a real problem. In my last test earlier this evening the chimes worked almost instantaneously, but it was a good 10 seconds before the mobile phone responded. I think this is long enough for an impatient delivery person to go away.

The WiFi extender seems to have cured the occasional total failure to get any indication of a ring on the phone. But I've not used it enough to be sure yet. Tomorrow morning will be interesting when my wife's carer arrives soon after 8 am. So far the ring has failed for her every time (3 out of three). I am wondering if the problem is not really signal strength, but (1) the fact that the router's WiFi is probably in "sleep mode" and takes time to wake up and/or (2) the carer carries two mobile phones (private and work) and they are both trying to negotiate WiFi connections at the same time as the doorbell is trying to communicate.

I also have a problem with the chime units.In order to be reasonably sure of hearing the chime I need three downstairs and 1 upstairs, Three out of the four work fine, but the 4th should be in the kitchen. But that one does not receive a strong enough signal from either the router (upstairs) or the extender (in the entrance hall)

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution
Ring doorbell requires limited bandwidth as the upload is only 1-2 mbps. Howeer the stream goes to the global server and then comes back you via downstream
So if the ring itself is slow is down to latency not bandwdth. Bandwidht however is the culprit if the video is poor. My experience is that the most important thing is that the actual ring arrives on time the video is not that important as long as the audio kicks in
So on line with a lot of latency the experience is poor. A normal dsl line with low latency and 1 mbps upload may work better than a 50 mbps line with high pings
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

Like you are going to decide on which type of broadband to get in order for a doorbell to work!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution
No you just need decent broadband and wireless
The key challenge is wireless outside the house bad latency creates delays but it also has a motion sensor that will improve matters if your door is not close to the street
0 Ratings