Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robboz
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Air printing

Go to solution

I have an Apple Macbook pro -iphone and ipad. All these connect wirelessly with my home network via latest BT Hub.

However I have just bought an Epson printer advertised as an air printer which will not connect although will show up as being recognised on my Mac and the others.  I now find from Epson that their printers only connect via a 2.4 network.  Now they tell me!

Is it safe to change settings from 5 to 2.4 in my hub settings? Alternative is to change printer for one Apple compatible.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Air printing

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by "Is it safe to change settings from 5 to 2.4 in my hub settings" The 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wireless signals operate simultaneously.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Your printer works on the 2.4Ghz frequency which means it will connect to the Homehub using that frequency or if you are using Epson Connect (air printing) , which is making a direct wireless connection to the printer from your device it will use the 2.4Ghz to do that.

All your Apple devices will be able to use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies so it should not cause any problems using the printer.

You should have a read through the printer's instruction manual (Probably on line) and follow the instructions to the letter when you are setting up and connecting the printer and you should have no problems. 

0 Ratings
robboz
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.  It seemed to me from the BT Hub settings that one can chose between the two settings. I didnt want to change to 2.4 to suit the Epson printer for fear of upsetting somewhere else. eg my other devices.

0 Ratings
robboz
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I was advised by Epson that all their printers use 2.4-see reply;-

From Epson:-

'In response to your email, I can confirm that regardless to whether it is AirPrint compatible or not, all of our products only work on a 2.4ghz frequency band and are not supported on a 5ghz band. If your router has a 5ghz band see if you are able to switch to 2.4ghz otherwise on a 5ghz band you will find that you struggle to connect to the network as this frequency band is not supported'

Hence the reason I asked whether I should attempt to change the BT Hub setting by selecting 2.4 thereby running the risk of changing something that does not require a change.

Thanks for help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You should have no problems. You do not need to change any settings on the Homehub or your devices. If devices can see both frequencies it means they can use both frequencies and if on auto select they will use the strongest one.

If your devices, such as the printer, can only see the 2.4Ghz frequency that is all it will use and the 5Ghz will have no bearing on it what so ever.

robboz
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Very many thanks

John Roberts

0 Ratings