Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balkwdav
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

All I want is an Infinity SSFP socket installed

Go to solution

All I want is Infinity SSFP socket installed, along with a data extension as my router needs to be located away from the master socket. 

I'm understand I need to pay £130 but today I had copper BT engineer visited so couldn't do what I needed. A day off work to wait for engineer, hours and hours on the telephone this afternoon passed around to so many groups within BT.  It's so painful and still I don't know who, when, where, if someone will come and do what I want. 

Seriously considering Virgin broadband that doesn't rely on telephone wiring.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: All I want is an Infinity SSFP socket installed

Go to solution

If you currently have an NTE5 master socket then just buy he mk3 insert shown by yellow arrow - if just slots in and no wiring changes required test-socket-thumb.jpg

You plan also connect the data extension to the 2 terminals where the yellow arrow is and then connect to terminals 2&5 in extension socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
balkwdav
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks but I have a non NTE5 master socket.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@balkwdav wrote:

All I want is Infinity SSFP socket installed, along with a data extension as my router needs to be located away from the master socket. 

You don't need an SSFP to locate your router away from the master socket. You can just wire from the existing socket and use filters.

0 Ratings
balkwdav
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks, I understand that but I also have a house alarm that is connected to the telephone line, I assume through a filter but it is difficult to tell and I have no idea if the alarm's filter is wired correctly.

I'm at the point where I'd like to completely remove the internal telephone wiring as causing my issues so I'd like to split the data/phone at the master socket and at the same time remove the need for filters.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you don't feel confident to do it yourself I would just get a local tradesman to provide a new SSFP adjacent to the existing master socket and rewire as required from there. Effectively just turn the existing master into a junction box.

0 Ratings
balkwdav
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

After a couple more hours on phone to BT support on Friday a BT openreach engineer came today.

The master socket was moved to a location near my router, a ssfp master socket was installed, the telephone bell wire can apparently impact broadband so that was removed, my original setup had a master socket leading to another master socket which I was told isn't normal.

The original mistake was BT support specifying that I wanted a socket move and they sent a copper telephone engineer who couldn't do the work I wanted. Once it was logged as a broadband fault I was sent the correct engineer.

I now have a more standard setup which should make it much easier to troubleshoot any more broadband issues.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @balkwdav,

Thank you for posting back. I'm glad the engineer was able to help Smiley Happy

PaddyB

0 Ratings