cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: All location services when using broadband go to old location, not new location after moving hou

@licquoricewrote:

As far as I'm aware, it works by associating your Android phone's GPS location to the wifi BSSID it is connected to and thus assumes that the MAC address of the device emitting the wifi is in close proximity to your phone.

so how does it pick up the location for my desktop which is connected via LAN to a new MAC on a new hub / router, which has no association to my phone or the old address? And this is not just on google maps - it happens on openstreetmaps and other locatino services on the desktop, not just google?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Re: All location services when using broadband go to old location, not new location after moving hou

Try clearing your cookies and cache from your browser.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 22

@licquoricewrote:

Try clearing your cookies and cache from your browser.

tried that. and tried using a different browse with a fesh install. still the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Then I am out of ideas.

However, the only way your location can be determined is via GPS. That GPS location has to then be associated with a device somehow. In the past, when Google were carrying out streetview mapping they would pick up the BSSID from your wifi router and associate this with the car's GPS location and enter it in their database. My understanding is that this has now evolved so that instead of the Google street view car associating the wifi source with a GPS location, your Android phone does it instead. The location of a PC without GPS cannot be determined directly. How that information gets back to your PC and where it is stored, I am unclear about.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 22

yeah - I'm stumped too! my desktop has no GPS and is only connecting via ethernet to a new hub / router which has never been associated to my old address. As its affecting multiple sites, not associated with google, I'm very confused.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 22

I'm doing this on Chrome so it may be helpful if use Chrome as well.

Navigate to www.google.co.uk and search for something (anything).

Scroll down to where it states your location, does it say  your old address followed by"From your Location History - Use precise location"

Now open an incognito tab and repeat your search, does it now say your correct address followed by "From your Internet address - Use precise location

If so, then the most likely cause of your problem is your loation history.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 22

@V_Meldrewwrote:

I'm doing this on Chrome so it may be helpful if use Chrome as well.

Navigate to www.google.co.uk and search for something (anything).

Scroll down to where it states your location, does it say  your old address followed by"From your Location History - Use precise location" Yes - it is showing an address clsoe to my old location.

Now open an incognito tab and repeat your search, does it now say your correct address followed by "From your Internet address - Use precise location Yes - it is showing my new location.

If so, then the most likely cause of your problem is your loation history.

Amazing - thank you! OK, so how do i fix this across all my family's devices then?! clicking "use your precise location" in normal chrome window does nothing.
Also - how can this affect a brand new install of an unrelated browser (firefox, which I've never used before), which is not logged into google?!  Using google search and scrolling to the bottom edit: it says the wrong location along with  "from your device - Use precise location - learn more". Clicking it this time does change it to the correct location.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 22

I don't know why it happens with Firefox but I might know why it does it on Chrome

I suspect there is a cookie on your machine which pre dates the period for which your browser is set to delete, try selecting and clearing all cookies "from the beginning of time"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 22

I should have realised this sooner, location services are built into W10 and other operating systems. It certainly isn't using IP address for location as the location given is exact.

I wonder if you have location services turned off and your PC is using an old cached location.

You can clear location history in settings>privacy >location

I'm still not sure how GPS and wifi location are somehow transferred to Ethernet connected devices but they are. I have just fired up an Ethernet connected desktop with no wifi running Ubuntu and that picked up my exact location (a very small village) immediately.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 22

@V_Meldrewwrote:

I don't know why it happens with Firefox but I might know why it does it on Chrome

I suspect there is a cookie on your machine which pre dates the period for which your browser is set to delete, try selecting and clearing all cookies "from the beginning of time"

yup - did the "from the beggining of time" when i deleted them previously!

0 Ratings