cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Alternative 8-port LAN/Modem/Router /AP

Hi, I have a BT Smart Hub with BT Infinity but it does not appear to support the 6 ethernet connetions I want via the switch that I bought. 

As the BT Smart Hub cannot be run in Modem only mode so I am thinking of ditching it for an alternative router which does everthing, i.e. has at least 6 ethernet ports with POE and is a great wireless AP.  Can anyone recommend a good one?   Do these normally connect directly to the small BT RJ11 DSL wall socket?  Or do I require an RJ11to RJ45 converter.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Alternative 8-port LAN/Modem/Router /AP

There is no reason why you cannot connect an Ethernet switch to the home hub, provided that its compatible. What make of Ethernet switch are you using, as some seem to cause duplex mismatch conditions when connected to the home hub?

This one should be fine https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-075719-8W49.html

BT 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

I am not aware of a router which has more that four ports, and anyway you would not want to pass all your traffic through the internal switch on a router, because if you had to reboot the router, you would loose interconnectivity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

The Draytek Vigor 2860N (£534 at Amazon) is a 6 port modem/router but I don't believe it does PoE. I think you might be struggling to get all the features you want in one box.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

I can't see any indication that the BT one supports IGMP Snooping, which if it doesn't and is used with any of the internet channels can cause problems for the rest of the network.

Given that I'd recommend a TP-Link TL-SG108 which does support IGMP Snooping and is very reliable.