Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Alternative router for Infinity 2

Go to solution

Hi, can anyone recommend a router we can purchase to use on BT infinity 2, in replacement of the Hub 6?

Basically - Our Hub 6 suddenly stopped working so no internet from the router. A BT Engineer came out and we are getting broadband to the house but the router is faulty (our second fauly hub 6 from BT) he connected his hub 5 and it got an internet connection straight away. Called BT and they dont have any hub 5's to send us so we are getting another 6. I am not convinced this will work so am looking at purchasing one just so we can get the internet after 3 weeks of phone calls back and forth. Any recommendations appreciated please.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Alternative router for Infinity 2

Go to solution

Depends on your budget and requirements. Ensure whatever you get is a VDSL modem/router and not just ADSL. Asus, Billion and TP-Link are popular. Currently TP-Link models don't fully support IPv6 but they are working on a solution. Netgear have said they don't intend to support BT's implementation of IPv6

0 Ratings
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
Thank you, i wasn't sure what was needed from a router, and don't want to buy one if it wasn't going to work.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

The TP Link VR600 and VR900 are popular, reasonably specced mid-priced models.

TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

If your budget is a bit higher than the TP-Links I can strongly recommend the Asus DSL-AC68U at around £150.

amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks both. I'm getting a new smart hub from BT today so i hope it works. 

I've had problems with the Hub 6, but they told me the smart hub is different, is this true?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

@amb1 wrote:

I've had problems with the Hub 6, but they told me the smart hub is different, is this true?

I doubt it, but you may be lucky in getting one that works. The smart hub is the HH6.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@amb1 wrote:

No, its not true, they are the same thing. I hope you haven't parted with money for it!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
Billion 8800NL R2
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
amb1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Fortunatley no i didnt pay for it. Plugged it in last night and it worked for about 20 mins then lost connection. Looking at going to purchase one as BT dont seem to get the hint that the router is the problem.

Thanks for your help everyone!

0 Ratings