cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Alternative router with guest network for Fibre 1?

Hi

I was mis sold a fibre 1 package.   I was told i would have a guest network on the router, it doesn't.

A was also promised that i would be able to  receive some support for non BT products.  which appears to also be untrue.

Its been a pretty bad experience with BT so far.  I've got to be honest.

I am changing from Virgin because of moving and don't have Virgin in the new place.

Does anyone have a suggestion for alternative routers with guest network for Fibre 1?

Range and reliability is key.

I just want the safety of having a truly isolated guest network

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Alternative router with guest network for Fibre 1?

@MisSold1 

Try  TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL. I assume you have a VDSL connection.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/service-provider/dsl-router/archer-vr400/

Guest Network 2.4GHz guest network, 5GHz guest network
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the recommendation

It's a slow 50mbps FTTC connection that I have.

Is that called VDSL?

What do I search for to make sure I get the correct router?  Are there any that BT recommend or support

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Yes, that is VDSL.  Just make sure any device you get is a VDSL modem/router.

BT don't recommend or offer support for any third party routers, but there is plenty of advice available here on the forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

also if I get a new router.. Do I just plug it in and it works.  Or do I need to tell BT so it can be activated to work on my internet connection?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

No need to tell BT. You will need to configure it with the generic PPPoE login details which are Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

Message 7 of 13

@MisSold1 wrote:

also if I get a new router.. Do I just plug it in and it works.  Or do I need to tell BT so it can be activated to work on my internet connection?

Hi @MisSold1 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry for the incorrect info you've been given.   The Smart Hub does not have a "guest" network function.  Also we aren't able to offer advice on non BT products.

We do send you the hub to use the service.  If you want to use a third party router that is entirely your own choice.  We can't offer support on that though I'm afraid.  It's not as simple as "plug and play".  You'll need to make some changes and the guys I'm sure will follow up to confirm what they are.

**Edit** Thanks @licquorice 

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Thanks

Yeah the BT shop has an alternative ADSL router.  I assume that also comes with no support.

@ anyone 

Are there any suggestions for a router with good range and reliability?  I've always used the Virgin media router where I am now. I've never had to buy a router before.

Amy suggestions welcome

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

You need a VDSL modem/router not an ADSL router as already stated.

There is no need for support from BT, it will be rarely needed and, as already stated, you will get good support from this forum.

The device recommended by @@Keith_Beddoe  will be eminently suitable. Unless you have the need for a high speed LAN to stream from a NAS for example, there is no need to spend a fortune on a router with very fast WiFi as the limiting speed will be your 50M broadband speed. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Thanks 

VDSL got it 🙂 

Yeah I an hoping there will be a faster roll out soon.  But I suppose I can get a different bit of kit then

Of I'll check out the suggested router

0 Ratings