cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markah67
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Alternative to HH5? WiFi dropout issues.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this Forum and hopefully someone can give me some advice regarding my Home Hub 5 and dropout issues.

I am on the BT Infinity 2 package and get pretty good speeds (I'm close to the cabinet), 60-70 Mbps seems to be the norm and sometimes higher but it does fluctuate.

However, I do suffer from dropouts using wifi and have heard that many people have replaced their HH5's because of this. What kit would I need to improve this situation and give me better stability. The present coverage in the house is good in terms of wifi signal, I just want something that ensures I am always connected on all of my devices around the house and getting the best possible speeds. 

If I bought a new router does it still have to be connected to the HH5 (as the modem?) and will just be used for the wifi?

By the way, my HH5 is positioned in an open space fairly central in the house (not stuffed behind the settee!! Smiley LOL).

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: Alternative to HH5? WiFi dropout issues.

The TP Link TD W9980 is a direct replacement for the Homehub 5, although if you have BT TV as well, there's a bit more configuration required.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
markah67
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Thanks ray_dorset,

I had seen that model mentioned before on another thread. I don't have BT TV so I presume I just remove the HH5, put that model in its' place and set it up through my Macbook? Is it fairly straightforward?

Could you recommend any other models that would fit the bill and then I could shop around and compare? Or would you say the TP Link model would be the best choice anyway?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

The Asus DSL-AC68U works well as a modem/router (HH5 replacement). Costs though at around £160.

Good for BT TV (Sport) if you ever go that route.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

The TP link is extremely simple to set up, its pretty much plug and play. Just enter BT VDSL in the quick setup section and it configures everything. User name is homehub@btbroadband.com and password is anything if required. Certainly been happy with mine. The Billion 8800nl is another cheap alternative, but that doesn't have 5Ghz wireless.

0 Ratings
markah67
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Thanks for your input and advice so far guys.

The ASUS model also sounds very good so I will look into that and the TP Link model.

0 Ratings
stanster
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

So is it a matter of a straight swap then ?

Unplug the HH5 and just replace with the Asus.

Having too reset the HH frequently is becoming a pain.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Yep

0 Ratings
stanster
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Might have to splash some cash then.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

I was referring to the TP Link, see post 5. The ASUS is probably very similar to set up. Both are direct replacements for HH5 or HHx + Openreach modem.

0 Ratings