cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stanster
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Alternative to HH5? WiFi dropout issues.

What extra configuration is required for the TP Link router to use with BT TV ?

Something fairly simple to do ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

@stanster wrote:

What extra configuration is required for the TP Link router to use with BT TV ?

Something fairly simple to do ?

As long as you have the latest firmware, I don't believe there is anything to do. So all that may be required is an update to the latest firmware which is trivial to perform.

Edit: I haven't got BT TV personally, but other posters have indicated the firmware fixes previous problems with BT TV (as stated in the firmware release note).

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 13 of 21

I use the Asus rt n66u "dark knight" which is an older model but is very good and now can be picked up for under £100

I don't have BT vision but I am running a complicated and varied home network with NAS etc all running with no issues and only a small amount of configuration.

Go to the manufacturers websites and download the manuals and see what features each offer and pick the best one for your needs.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 21

@deathaxe wrote:
I use the Asus rt n66u "dark knight" which is an older model but is very good and now can be picked up for under £100

Yes this a very good router with a good selection of custom firmware available.

Only issue is the need for an OR modem on Infinity.

0 Ratings
misterhill
Message 15 of 21

Sorry to piggy back off this post, but I just have a question about the last comment:

"Only issue is the need for an OR modem on Infinity"

I Have recently received the Asus N66U as mentioned which is to replace my current HH5 on Infinity 2 plan, however the modem I've received with it is a TP-LINK TD-8817 and I'm having a few issues getting it to work - either i'm doing something wrong, or it's not compatable with Infinity 2?

I was just wondering what you meant by an OR Modem? My TD-8817 has the folowing specs

ADSL Standards

Full-rate ANSI T1.413 Issue 2, ITU-T G.992.1(G.DMT), ITU-T G.992.2(G.Lite)
ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs), ITU-T G.995.1 , ITU-T G.996.1, ITU-T G.997.1, ITU-T K.2.1

ADSL2 Standards

ITU-T G.992.3 (G.dmt.bis), ITU-T G.992.4 (G.lite.bis)

ADSL2+ Standards

ITU-T G.992.5

As per the TP-Link site - http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=220&model=TD-8817#spec

If this is incompatable, does any one have any suggestions on the correct sort of Modem I could get to work with Infinity 2 and my ASUS Wifi?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

that is for adsl whereas fibre is vdsl G993.2

just type 'openreach modem' into search on well known aution site

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

The only stand-alone modem that is compatible is the Openreach (OR) modem which can only be obtained secondhand from a well known auction site. Alternatively, you need a combined VDSL modem/router such as the TP-Link TD W9980 or Billion 8800nl.

misterhill
Message 18 of 21

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up - really appreciate it.

So an Openreach Modem is my only option - unless I get a new combined VDSL modem/router.. makes sense now.

Thanks again for the info - and for such a prompt reply

- I also did a quick search on Openreach modems and anoyingly, the two you suggested come up - and also the TD-8817 which is why I think I got confused 😞 At least it was only £11 and not £100

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

@misterhill wrote:

So an Openreach Modem is my only option - unless I get a new combined VDSL modem/router.. makes sense now.

Correct.

Edit: Another alternative is a Draytek Vigor 130 Modem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
deathaxe
Expert
Message 20 of 21

I used the draytek vigor and although it worked well enough it ran very hot and it felt very low quality for its price and it packed up after 18 months.

So I personally wouldn't recommend it.
0 Ratings