cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Alternative to HH5?

I wonder if anyone can suggest an alternative to a BT HH5, please?

I recently got the 'free broadband boost', from 54mbps to 76mbps, and unfortunately this has been accompanied by occasional broadband dropouts. This is happening typically twice a day or so. Seems to happen at random intervals so I don't think it's an incomplete firmware upgrade issue or anything like that. I've done the quiet line test and didn't hear any noise. Also I've done a hard reset on the HH5.

I've had a conversation or two with BT and their view is "that's the way it is - the speed increase is stressing your line too much, and the router is responding by dropping the connection". This is obviously disappointing, but there again I haven't paid for the speed increase. BT also said that switching to a HH6 won't improve anything as the differences between that and the HH5 are all on the customer side - better wifi, for example.

It occurs to me, however, that a third party router might be a solution and I'd like to explore that before I tell BT to drop the speed back to 54mbps. I do need one with at least a couple of gigabit ethernet ports - I had a couple of ethernet connections put into remote parts of the house a couple of years ago.

Any suggestions? - there are so many out there I don't know which to choose, so I'd welcome hearing others' experiences.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Alternative to HH5?

you can use any 3rd party modem router  a popular choice of the forum is tplink 9980

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately the tp link TD-W9980 is now obsolete. You really need to look at the specs and decide what features you require. If you only need a very basic router with single band wireless the TP Link TD-W9970 is about £30. Otherwise have a look at the various TP-Link VR600/900/2600 range or Billion and Asus models. The higher end models have faster wireless speed but that is not necessary unless you use wireless streaming from a NAS/media server on you Lan as otherwise the broadband speed will be the slowest link in the chain anyway.

Just ensure it is a VDSL modem/router and not either a standalone router or ADSL modem/router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

you can still buy the 9980 just it is superseded and no longer made

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

I use a w9970. A good improvement on the homehub.
Never once lost wifi since I had it
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
tom_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the advice.

I've been looking at a TP Link Archer VR400 (AC1200) router - Currys PC World have it in my local store for £65. I know that the wifi speeds offered will be slower than the VR600 box (and also slower than the Home Hub 5, at least as far as the 5GHz band is concerned), but that's not an issue - everything that needs high speed for serious internet work is connected by ethernet, not wifi. The ethernet covers the two PCs, the smart TV, the Sky box, and the new 4K Apple TV streamer. So we only use wifi for casual browsing on the mobile devices.

Just to recap, my reason for wanting to do this is because of the Home Hub 5 reboots which are apparently caused by occasional glitches (?) on the line from the exchange, especially since the free upgrade to 76Mbps. I know that there's no guarantee that a different router will make any difference, which is why I don't want to spend too much money. The argument, as I understand it, is that the third party routers will be more robust and better able to deal with the glitches. Is it possible that the Archer VR400 likely to be as robust on the broadband side as the Archer VR600? I'm hoping that the differences between these two pieces of kit is purely on the wifi side, which (as I've explained above) won't be an issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

As previously stated, unless you have a NAS or media server, wifi speed will be in excess of your broadband speed so will not be a limiting factor for any internet activity in any case. If you can manage with only 2.4Ghz wireless, the 9970 is even cheaper (about £30-35).

Not sure about the 'glitches' argument, but on the whole, third party routers are not as susceptible to reboots as the HH and are genearlly more stable.

0 Ratings
Dode
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

I've been using the VR400 for around a year now. I haven't got anywhere near as much as you have connected to it but for me it's been way way more stable than the HH5a. I've had no problems at all.

0 Ratings