cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Amazon Firestick and BT Broadband.

I purchased an Amazon Firestick last October and it worked fine for about 5 months.  Until a few weeks ago. It would start freezing but if you switched it off and back on it would work again. Now it won't switch on at all. It comes up with "Amazon, the Firestick and optimising apps and storage, this may take up to 10 mins"................ and then it repeats over again.  When I looked at the list of devices connected the Firestick was there but disconnected,  but now it's not even on the list!!! I've tried resetting it, splitting my broadband to 2.4 and 5 ghz, resetting the smart hub and disabling smart set up . I took it to a friend's house and it worked fine but I'm not sure who their broadband is with and yesterday I took it to my parents who are with bt and it wouldn't work there either. Help me please!!!!!!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Amazon Firestick and BT Broadband.

if you go to network settings in the firestick can you see your home network?  if so have you tried connecting and entering the password

I have 2 firesticks and not a problem

as it does not work on another hub it sounds like a setting in the firestick needs changed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 11

Hello  @Helen1967   It really does sound like you have tried all the things you can do to get it going. Have you tried a different HDMI port on the TV?

I’ve 2 here that work perfectly with BT that I bought last prime day 5 or 6 months ago, I have however had a faulty Alexa remote and received a replacement from amazon 2 weeks ago last Friday. I would contact amazon web chat they are very good and will send you a replacement if they reckon it’s faulty doesn’t matter if you bought it from them or not. They will ask you to send the faulty one back to them after the replacement has arrived. I just took a picture of my post office receipt on my phone and emailed that to them and within 5 minuets they emailed back and refunded my postage to me. The easiest return I’ve ever done. 

Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for replying. I can't even get into settings on the Firestick.  I'll take it back to my friends where it worked an see if the can do it for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

It does sound like the stick has got an issue (although odd that it works at a friends). You could try doing a factory reset by pressing the right and back buttons on the remote for at least 10 seconds (or if at your friends and it loads you can get to the factory reset option in settings).
When you are at your friends and parents, are their networks ones you have already connected your stick too? If not then the stick won't know or care who the ISP is at that point.
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

It had previously connected to my friends but not my parents, but at my parents it surely should come up with firestick home screen and give me the option to go to settings. All it does is the amazon,  firestick,  optimising loop. Then tv sas no signal. I've tried it in 2 tvs at home.  One which has freesat box connected and a spare tv which gad nothing else connected. I'm going to my friends on Thursday so I'll try it there again....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

That is why I think it may be an issue with the stick (and perhaps a fluke that it worked at your friends). It looks like the stick it trying to start and the crashing and restarting from your description, hence my suggestion to factory reset it. I guess a way to rule out your BT connection would be to either switch off your hub or turn off wifi whilst the stick loads. If the network doesn't exist then it cannot try to connect to it.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 11

I think it was probably a one off fluke it came back to life at your friends. It’s always the way when you try and point out a fault and then it works.

Let us know how you get on but don’t put up with it for much longer if it’s faulty get it swapped, Amazon really don’t want their customers having a bad time using their products it’s not worth it to them. They will bend over backwards to get it right for you. 

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Are you using the official power pack for the Firestick, or just any old USB charger?  It could be a power issue as I had odd problems with my Firestick just constantly rebooting  when I tried to power from the USB port on the TV it was connected too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

Hi @minty_lamb. I'm using the amazon cable and plug that came in the box. I gave tried a dumping one but to no avail......

0 Ratings