cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TonyDavies
Message 1 of 7

AmazonPrime eats up monthly allowance

Can anyone explain the disparity in my nroadband allowance as recorded by the Broadband Usage meter?

We watch lots of catch-up on YouView, and this is shown as 1.18Gb, excluded from our allowance as we have BT Vision. This will include a number of episodes of "Father Brown".

One sinlge episode of "Man in the High Castle" on Amazon Prime racks up a hefty 5Gb+

Why is there such a difference in allowance consumption?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: AmazonPrime eats up monthly allowance

different services use different distribution methods
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

You may find that Amazon Prime delivers High Definition content where as BT Vision is in Standard Definition.

As a very rough guide, streaming Standard Definition video for an hour will use about 250MB and streaming an hour of High Definition video will use 2GB.

0 Ratings
TonyDavies
Message 4 of 7

Thanks GG. "The Man in the High Castle" is in HD. I realise that HD uses more bandwidth than SD, but 8x as much surprises me - I'm not gainsaying you! Having said that, an hour of "TMitHC" is being recorded at over 5Gb by BT's Usage Monitor. Is this likely? Could the Usage Monitor be over-calculating?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

some programmes do use a large amount of data in transmission 5GB is very possible
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

As I said, it is a rough guide. Have a search of the Internet and you get a variation of the amount of data used by HD streaming from about 2GB up to about 7GB so 5GB may not be unreasonable.

If you are on a limited usage allowance and stream movies you should seriously consider going onto an unlimited plan. Limited usage is really only of use to people who only do light surfing and emailing.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 7

It depends on what the underlying codec is being used for the service, some will balance quality over bandwidth considerations.

0 Ratings