Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vcator
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Android connected via WiFi, but no Internet connection after about 1 hour

Go to solution

I have just replaced my Moto G5s with another Moto G5s, the first connected to Wifi and found an Internet connection without any problems.

The second Moto G5s connects to WiFi without a problem, and connects to the Internet. . . but only for about an hour, after which it disconnects from the Internet although is still connected to WiFi 

Under settings on the G5s I try and re-set the connection, to no avail - I can only get re-connected to the Internet following a full factory reset.   And then only for about an hour.

I have 2 laptops, 1 android and 1 iPhone that are all connected to the Internet via Wifi with no problem.  The old G5s worked fine.

I CAN get connected to the Internet if I log into BTFon, whilst sat near to the hub (so I'm assuming the BTFon connection is using my hub).

I tried using BT Whole Home wifi - it sees the wifi, but no internet connection.

I tried changing the channel on the Hub 5.

I went to a neighbours and it seemed to work OK

I tried working in SAFE mode on the Android, but no good.

The android is 7.1.1 with the 1st December security patch

So there seems to be an issue between the Android and Hub 5.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
vcator
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Android connected via WiFi, but no Internet connection after about 1 hour. SOLVED

Go to solution

THERE IS A BUG in the BT hub (5) - Smart setup

Looking really carefully when trying to re-connected, I noticed a BT splash screen flash by for about 0.1 seconds . . before it disappears.

It turns out this is BT's Smart Setup.

Turn Smart Setup off, and bobs your uncle 🙂

Advanced Settings>>Home Network>> Smart Setup>> disable . . . . and then life is good once again 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: Android connected via WiFi, but no Internet connection after about 1 hour. SOLVED

Go to solution

Turning off smart setup in hh5 and hh6 is one of first things recommended by the forum to avoid connection problems. Glad you managed to solve your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vcator
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I wish BT support had known this - I was switched between various departments having to answer mostly the same questions - I literally spent all morning yesterday, and part of last night, trying to sort it out.

Anwyay, at least it is now sorted 🙂 

Steve2034
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks VCATOR.  I have just had this problem with a Nokia 3 Android phone.

I found there were 15 steps from My BT but I found the key was going to:

bt.com/help/smartswitchoff  then go to Smart Setup which takes you to

Enable Smart Setup - click on No.

Sorted.

0 Ratings
paul_round
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Same problem here. I can only connect, (for a while) if I forget the network then reconnect. I had tghis problem on my previous phone (S7) and on my current one, (S9).

0 Ratings