cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Anyone got a BT engineer who knows what they're doing?

So we live in Central London and moved into a flat last week - all prepared and planned with BT and there I was for the 7am to 1 slot with a new number and sent it out to all mys lists. With me so far? Sunny outside and birds were hopping about.

Engineer turns up at 1 (so there goes a working day) and is in and out in 2 minutes and says there is no need for access. I am dubious and ask him to call me when he has connected the line. He does call and says it is all done. So yes we have a line and we have broadband - but here it clouds over, folks - the line number is not my number and I can make calls on it and then the broadband packs up. Turns out it isnt my number but the last tenant's they connected...and it does not fully work all services.

Day two - BT say they will have another engineer there next day to sort it ( takes two hours by phone) and I will get a case manager to oversee it all. Great. I give clear instructions on what to do - cut the old line and give us the new one and check it works.

Day three - more time on hold, case manager calls and says it is fixed - nope, it isn't. The engineer has not done as asked and we have a line, yes, but the wrong one again and no broadband. Case manager says earliest they can get another engineer out is four days - yup, four days - so what can you do? I ask for another case manager who will get to grips with this and so Rebecca is assigned.

Day 6 - no call from Rebecca although I was assured I would get one - case management? - but my partner gets a call from the engineer to get access. Now, on the notes it CLEARLY says call me and not my partner in a dozen places and never once have we been asked for access - so what is that about? My partner can't get there and it is too late by the time I get called for me.

Day 7 - I return to find that there is now no line at all and of course no broadband. I call again ( I calculate 8 hours now to BT which is a whole working day) so I call again....now wait for it...engineer logs fault is fixed but has not uploaded any notes so nobody has any idea what is going on. I then ask for another appointment when I can be there ( which will involve a four hour return trip this time due to our work) and am told it will be a few days again and - and - they can't do that as the fault is still open. Confused? I am.

So I ask for the case manager - well, it now turns out that there never was one although I was told there was - and I ask can I be assigned to one and am told that will take three days...I know, do laugh...or cry...so here we are. No line. Three engineers. Extraordinary inefficiency all along.

As I type I am on hold again - and you can bet BT will be quick to get their bill in while I have no solution and none - zilch, nada - on the horizon. So the scream. Any ideas? Anyone?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Anyone got a BT engineer who knows what they're doing?

That is very bad "service" from the engineers.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

many thanks only the fact they are so busy and it takes 48 hours doesn't really offer a great deal of comfort - it was easier to get a line connected in the 1980s and yes, I know.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 12

@jeff16 I'm really sorry about the problems getting your line connected, we'll be happy to help if you send us over your details on the 'click here to contact the mods' link. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I'm very grateful for this but there's no point unless you have the authority to get a senior to actually take control of this. I've had literally dozens of BT staff being helpful but they go around in circles and admit to increduality at the sheer number of issues on the notes - what it needs is -

a) a person with BT authority to take control and get on top of this

b) a manager, the manager of the engineer, to go with the engineer and make sure he or she know what they are doing as it is palbably obvious from what has occured that they don't. They have no idea how to - just connect a line.

So far, nobody in BT is prepared to take responsibility and unless you can make that happen then I'm not sure how you help - I can do without another 'we feel your pain' session which is what is always on offer. I am in pain. I can't work and have to make yet another special trip to be there and then wait all pm for an engineer.

So unless you can help my pain and not just feel it then it's another example of BT being rabbits running about in headlamps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

The moderators will take control and be your one point of contact until the problem is resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I'll try - Neil the moderator's instructions not easy to follow - perhaps he can try again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Neil - searched about - can't see where to click.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Hi @jeff16 Sorry about that. I've enabled the link for you now on my profile. Please check and let me know if you still can't contact us.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

carry on a BT

What a disorganised shower. See my post about BT engineers knowing what they are doing - so after a moderator getting involved here and me being assured everything would be managed and looked into - NOTHING OF THE SORT. Chaos.

For a fifth time a BT engineer has made a hash - and it is BT - Openreach are a BT company. Despite all the notes saying call at the property to check as it looks that the fault has been fixed but it has not - what do they do? They don't call. They clearly do not read the notes - AGAIN. We stay in all day yet again and the BT engineer goes and says all is hunky-dory and we still have no service. AGAIN.

FIVE engineers? How many does it take. A shambles. I have asked again and again for a senior engineer to be put onto this with some oversight and we get nothing - just feel your pain platitudes. The cost to us in terms of time and work is now significant and we are looking at another supplier. if you can avoid this comoany do as they clearly have no control over anyone and are shambolic and this is not emotion - IT IS A FACT.

0 Ratings