cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam0088
Message 1 of 8

Anything that my friend could do to improve his internet?

My friend has always had bad broadband speed and high latency and he doesnt know what to do about it.

I'm assuming bt can't do anything about it as it involves installing new cables and a cabinet and this will take time.

On betterbroadbandnorfolk.co.uk it says that fast broadband is 'planned delivery', but is there any way to speed up this process?

The max speed he gets is about 250kb/s on a good day, and when anyone else connects to his internet his ping goes up to 300+ and games become unplayable.

image.pngimage.png

Thanks, -Adam.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Anything that my friend could do to improve his internet?

who is your friends ISP

if dslchecker results are from your friends phone you can see fibre is available but speed slightly better than adsl2 conenction  there is nothing your friend can do to improve the speed from the cabinet basically due to the diatance from the cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
adam0088
Message 3 of 8

Bandwidth Problems?

My friend has latency issues with his internet, we don't think its anything to do with the broadband so it's probably the router. I believe he has the bt smart hub 6.

We don't understand why he is having high ping in every game he goes in, it just continuously spikes up and down and is only playable for about 5 minutes before it starts spiking.

He has no problems when no one else is home, its just when people start to connect it goes bad. What's weird is that his brother has experienced no problems with latency (he plays league of legends) its only my friend who has these problems. Even when they are both in a game at the same time, the brother will have no lag and my friend will.

He's tried resetting the router, using wireless and he also has one of those wall adapters that go through the powerline. The problems still occure even when switching out wireless adapters and using the powerline option. However his brother continutes to have no problems no matter what.

He also bought a new router a few days ago thinking it would fix it as he would use it for himself and everyone else would still connect to the old one. However this is not the case, as I also told him, but he bought it anyway. I was going to say to him just to replace his old router with the new one but the one he got doesn't include a modem so that was a waste of money.

We just can't seem to pin down what the problem is, if anyone can help then that would be great. Thanks!

If there is any additional infomation or tests you need to assist then please feel free to ask and I will be right on it! 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Re: Bandwidth Problems?

What device is he using?

If it is a PC or Laptop make sure that the network card drivers are up to date. Use the card manufaturer's website rather than Windows.

He could also go into the network adaptors properties and check to see if the IPv6 box is ticked. If it is try unticking it or if it is not, try ticking it and see if things improve.

EDIT: Posts were merged so I did not initially see the first couple of posts. Your friends speeds will undoubtedly be having an effect on his gaming and particularly when his brother is also playing a game. Unless he is able to get better speeds by "upgrading" to FTTC I doubt things will improve.

0 Ratings
adam0088
Message 5 of 8

Drivers are definitely up to date and he's already tried disabling ipv6 but it didn't help.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

You haven't said what speeds your friend gets but even at best with 2 people gaming at same time is going to cause problems. Maybe new router you can allocate bandwidth to each device so sharing equally rather then one getting better than the other

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
adam0088
Message 7 of 8

Not sure what the hell happend to this post and why they were merged, they came up as seperate on my profile but when I clicked it the second post appeared as a reply to my first one.

They were meant to be seperate posts.

I have one friend who lives far away from the cabinet and gets low download speed and high ping.

The other friend has perfectly fine speeds (50mbps+) but lots of ping spikes

First question was about the low dl speeds and the second was about badwidth issues

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

You need to get your friends to create their own  threads on this forum, assuming that they are both have BT Broadband. That is the only way that forum members can help, as information will be needed from their home hubs, and checks will need to be made on their line.