Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ManualRob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Apple Airplay on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I've had "Apple Airplay" working on my home network for years with very few issues.

Since upgrading to the Smart Hub 2 however "Apple Airplay" no longer works.

I thought the issue was with Apple, having upgraded my MacOS to Catalina, but resolved my issue by switching back to my old Smart Hub 1.

What could have changed between the Smart Hub 1 and Smart Hub 2 to cause this problem?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Apple Airplay on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

@ManualRob 

The smart hub 2 has a few issues. Unless you upgraded because you wanted to use the extra black wifi disk, then there is no advantage. You would be best sticking with the smart hub 1.

0 Ratings
ManualRob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I think you're right, but it always puzzles me why these major tech companies can't get their acts together.

Why would BT not want their latest offering to work with Apples latest and vice versa?!

0 Ratings
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @ManualRob 

I don’t imagine BT intentionally disabled AirPlay Functionality.

If you’re happy with the Old Smart Hub then that’s fine but any issues I have with AirPlay are usually resolved by a restart of my router.

You could also disable Smart Setup: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

And, temporarily, disable 5Ghz and see if this makes any difference. https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Disabling-5Ghz-on-the-Smart-Hub-2/m-p/1992466#M11333

What are you trying to use AirPlay on? Apple TV, AirPort Express, Music Streamer, Samsung TV etc.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
ManualRob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I've been using Airplay with my Samsung TVs, Denon AV Receiver and four SkyQ TV boxes without issue for a number of years.

The failure has occurred when I've 'upgraded' my router to the BT Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
ManualRob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Problem solved.

The issue was with the BT Virus Protect (McAfee) firewall.

I had forgotten to check the network was set to 'Home or Work' - it was set to 'Public'.

Once corrected everything came back.

0 Ratings