Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
venjer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Apple TV & Homehub 3 Home Sharing Drop Out

Go to solution

Good morning all and my apologies for posting this in the BT Vision section but I didn't know where else to go.

I've had BT Infinity for a few months now and been generally happy with the service.  I'm a Mac user and at the weekend I decided to purchase an Apple TV 3.  One of the main things I wanted to do with the ATV3 was to be able to use Home Sharing from my iTunes on my Mac.  I set everything up and it was all looking good, within minutes I was happily streaming video to my Apple TV.  5 minutes into playback however it dropped out.  It said on the Apple TV that Home Sharing needed to be enabled, I went back to the Mac, Home Sharing was enabled but I reconnected it again and it started working again.  5 minutes later again it disconnected.

I'm no network/router expert but even then I knew something was wrong.  I started to trawl the Apple forums looking for people with similar issues and found a LOT!  Problem is that everyone has different routers, issues, fixes and none of the solutions I tried seem to work for me, such as changing the channel on the router, reboots etc.

Basically I'm just really stuck now.  I'm not the most technical of people (but I do know some stuff) but I'd love some advice if anyone can help.  At the moment the Apple TV is practically unusable for me and I really would love to be able to have this working as when it does work for those brief few minutes it works really well and does exactly what I want it to.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Apple TV & Homehub 3 Home Sharing Drop Out

Go to solution

Moved to Other BB Queries.

0 Ratings
venjer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

I should add I found the following on the Apple forums although this seemed to be quite an old post (2 or 3 years) and was for an older Home Hub as when I checked I couldn't seem to add the Port Maps in the same way as this post and got confused Cat Sad

Solution:
1. Update the software on Apple TV (Settings | General | Update software)
2. Perform windows update (Start | All programs | Windows update)
3. Obtain the latest release of iTunes software. Run iTunes. From the iTunes menu select About | Check for updates. I am running version 9.1.1.12.
4. Check that you can view movie trailers from Apple TV. If you can't then you the apple TV has not connected to the BT home hub wireless network. You need to enter the BT home hub wireless key (which is found on the back of the bt home hub) as you password when you connect your apple TV to the wireless network. Check again that you can view Movie trailers. Don't proceed until you can.
5. Enter the BT home hub manager (Start | All Programs | BT Home Hub | Hub manager). Select Advanced. Enter admin as the username and your password to your hub. This is either a password you entered when you first set up the hub or the S/N number printed on the back of the BT Home Hub. Click continue to advanced. Select Application sharing. Select Create a new game or application.
Enter MyAppleTV against Name. Select Manual Entry of Port Maps.
Enter this Information one line at a time:
Protocol | Port range | Translate To ... | Trigger Protocol | Trigger Port
TCP | 123 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 3689 | TCP | TCP | 1
UDP | 5353 | UDP | UDP | 1
TCP | 80 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 443 | TCP | TCP | 1
TCP | 53 | TCP | TCP | 1

6. In BT home hub manager navigate to the devices menu, just above application sharing. And select MyAppleTV from the drop down menu and assign it.

7. Turn the power off on the Apple TV, BT home hub, and PC. You must turn the BT home hub off.
8. Turn on Home hub, PC. Wait for your network to return. When it has turn on apple TV.
9. Open up iTunes. In the menu select Edit | Preferences | Apple TV. Check that Check for Apple TVs is selected.
10. In iTunes under Library and Store, Devices should appear and within Devices Apple TV should appear.
11. If this does not work then phone Apple support and do not let them fob you off by offering you a replacement Apple TV.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Look here for some suggestions Network connections

You should not need to map ports if uPnP is enabled on the home hub.

venjer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply Keith.  I seem to have found a solution even though it's a messy one.  I had an old Netgear DG834GT router from my previous broadband setup and hooked that up to the network.  I ran a cable from the home hub into the Netgear and password protected the network (of course) and left everything else on default settings.  I've sent the Mac and the Apple TV 3 through the new wireless network on the Netgear and have been running my Apple TV 3 on Home Sharing for the past 2 hours without a single drop out.  Unfortunately this is a slower router but it at least works.  

I guess that if I get a Netgear router capable of Wireless N to replace the Home Hub this might solve the issue completely but I'm not sure what would be a good router to get, chances are I could get another Netgear and end up with the same issue.

I could just leave the current Netgear in place and switch the Mac back and forth depending on what I'm doing at the time.  

Still a lot to think about but it looks like it's the Home Hub is the problem here and from what I've read on the Apple forums there seem to be other routers out there that display similar symptoms.

I hope this helps some users who are having similar problems.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

There is a list of routers that will replace the home hub 3 here Home Hub 3 Replacements

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DCF
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
The solution to this is to take the BTHomehub3 off WPA/WPA2 & put it on WPA2 *Only*

I had this with a new Homehub Upgrade, and searched for viable solutions. Adding another hub is not practical, the change of 1 setting on the hub helped me immensely, other devices seam to like this too.

Try it and see, if you haven't already replaced you hub/router

Regards

Darin
0 Ratings
markinstien
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

You are spot on I have had the same issue with a LG smart TV now  with Apple TV , switching to one encryption WPA or WPA2  

instead of  both running has solved my dropout problem, this Fix should be widely available to save peopl having no end of network errors why can't manufacturers admit to their products limitations!

0 Ratings
spruzes
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

I've found the Home Hub 3 (mine is a type A) very very buggy when it comes to WiFi. Devices that just work with other routers don't work with the Home Hub 3 even unfortunately after the latest software update.

I had the similar problems to you. What I did was set up my network to just have the Home Hub 3 do broadband and network address allocation (DHCP), connect my Apple Time Capsule by cable (ethernet via powerline - works well), have the Time Capsule create the WiFi network on another channel, using its bridge mode to connect to the Home Hub, then switched off the Home Hub's WiFi altogether.

This fixed all the Apple TV problems in an instant, and because the Time Capsule supports the faster 5GHz networks too - the Home Hub doesn't - I have a separately named WiFi 5GHz network to link my iMac and my Apple TV.

P.S. On the Home Hub, I tried switching to a single encryption (WPA2), as well as disabling Smart Wireless. Didn't work.

0 Ratings
jarjartee
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks for that, did the trick 😛
0 Ratings