cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Apple devices won't connect to Internet

Go to solution

Good afternoon all,

This morning I woke up and found all the devices in my home were suddenly all disconnected from the Wifi. So I simply 'Forgot the Network' and re-entered the Wifi password as was able to connect most devices to the Internet. However, whilst all my Apple devices connected to the Router (and showed connected Wifi) the internet would NOT load on any page (Chrome, Safari or any apps whcih require internet access) I tried restarting phone, router and still no luck. Of course the fist thing i did was to call BT support and they did a test for me. Internet is fine and as other devices connect they said nothing they can do. They then said contact Apple Support. Apple tried a few things and still not working so i'm really stuck. The only thing i can think of is that a new firmware update has come through and messed up the connection of my apple devices to the router. Is there anyone else having this problem and if so, have you managed to fix the issue? Im really stuck and dont know what to do. I will be very upset if i can't connect my devices to Wifi. Any help on solutions would be most appreciated?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
mightyhawk1
Message 2 of 16

Re: Apple devices won't connect to Internet

Go to solution

i have thesame thing - my iphone 6 is on the 5ghz band as is my wifes. daughters is on 2.4ghz.. ther iphones are working fine..mine shows full connection but is slower than dial-up if any connection at all..can't work out what to do. someone suggested splitting the SSID (nit a techie so not comfortable doingthat!). any help from anyone would be great

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Try ONE factory reset of the Smarthub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once it re-starts make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Some devices including Apple devices have a problem with the Smarthub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.

See links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

mightyhawk1
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

have the same - only with my iphone 7+. i'm on 5ghz bandwidth as is my  wifes 8+ - her phone is absolutely fine as is my daughters on 2.4ghz. someone suggested splitting the ssid but i'm a bit worried doing that as i'm not a techie and think i'll **bleep** it up even worse. any help would be good. Hav eyou just updated to IOS 12? i did that last week but my wife and daughter haven't so wondering if that is the fault?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

You can not muck up splitting the bands but if somehow you did manage it all you would need to resolve it is carry out a factory reset and you would be back to square one.

0 Ratings
mightyhawk1
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

that's good to know. would currently connected devices automatically connect or would i have to go through everything and add them on again?

0 Ratings
mightyhawk1
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
do you think splitting ssid would resolve this..appears there was a firmware update on 29/9/18 which could be the issue too
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

If you read the links I posted it explains what you have to do.

The  devices that are presently connected should automatically reconnect to the 2.4Ghz band. The devices that can see the 5Ghz band will need to be connect to that.

I posted because it has helped other posters with similar problems. If it hadn't helped I would not have posted it! 

I can not guarantee it will solve your problem but what it won't do is make it any worse.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
I just split the ssid and it appears to have worked. Both my iPhone and iPad now connect to WiFi AND it’s loads the Internet. Let’s hope it stays working now. Give that a go and you should be fine.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Just so you know my WiFi and internet is now working after splitting the SSID. Give it a go and it should work.
0 Ratings