Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gugglebum
Beginner
Message 11 of 42

Re: Apple iCloud access on BT Home Hub

Go to solution

My BT connection has blocked Wetransfer, Google Drive, and Dropbox among others. Similar file sharing websites. I am seeing the same error message that I saw when trying to access these, when I try to access iCloud from any of my Apple devices, and from a Windows laptop.

All other websites I go to are fully accessible. iCloud is certainly not ‘down’, it would be on the news if it was, and I can access it via a VPN, bypassing BT’s constraints.

So, I’m assuming (happy to be proven wrong) that for some reason, three days ago, something has changed in the BT settings or protocols or whatever that now denies my access to iCloud, as before then I had a completely trouble free connection to it. I certainly haven’t touched my router or changed anything in our BT profile.

I’d be delighted if someone can tell me I’m wrong, and show me how I can get onto iCloud as I used to.

greedyfreddy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 42

Go to solution

I'm getting a new hub after a call to BT, the guy I spoke to said it was an update that was required by BT & that they were working on rolling out. If my new hub still doesn't work on Monday, I'm off to SKY...

0 Ratings
Molly11
Beginner
Message 13 of 42

Go to solution

All, had discussions with both Apple and BT. I was advised by Apple to sign in using an alternative modem. I signed in using my aunts BT WiFi-the sign in was successful and I was able to access ICloud. Apple confirmed the issue lies with my own BT modem. That said, I am at the moment signed in to ICloud usng my own BT WiFi???

What I deduced from this exercise is; intermittent issues in connectivity with my own BT WiFi and Apple iCloud is causing the problem.  Something I think BT should look at. To add, one BT advisor told me he was familiar with this problem but was unable to resolve?

James72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 42

Go to solution

I have just got off the phone to Apple and they are saying the same thing as they did to Molly11.  The weird thing I have since found since I last posted is that I discovered that my iCloud comes back on my wifi between the hours of 10pm and 6am.  I discussed this with the Apple advisor and they checked my restrictions and found nothing which would cause this.  I need to check this on another Wifi to see if iCloud works and if it does, they said its most likely to a BT problem. 

0 Ratings
geecee20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 42

Go to solution

I’m so glad I came on here to see if my post about BT hub filtering ICMP messages had been answered or update, as all these issues described in this post are happening to us as well.
Our BT home hub 6 (known as smart 1 I think) had it’s second firmware update this year and we are fully IPv6 now - installed on 4 August.
This firmware update has meant some websites will not display properly even though they are fully IPv6 ready.  I have also noticed in the last few days since the firmware update, that ICloud is not giving us access when we are normally using our Mac and apple devices through the BT hub.  However, when we turn on a VPN we can access iCloud without any issue - as well as some of the websites we had problems with.  This would lead me to believe that it must be the BT home hub with the issue.  My Samsung android mobile is also affected using wifi at home so it can’t be an Apple issue.  Look forward to any updates on this issue!  

gugglebum
Beginner
Message 16 of 42

Go to solution

Proof: I just added iCloud to the list of ‘allowed’ websites in BT parental controls.

Hey presto, we now have full access.

Therefore, iCloud was - like Wetransfer, Google Drive, etc etc - for some unfathomable reason  classified by BT as a restricted site.

geecee20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 42

Go to solution

Hi gugglebum,

What address did you enter in the allowed list of websites?  I would like to try this too

0 Ratings
gugglebum
Beginner
Message 18 of 42

Go to solution

Just www.icloud.com. It worked immediately; all the files that I had in GarageBand that were queued as ‘waiting to upload’ have now moved to iCloud, and in my Settings under iCloud, where it had previously shown an error message saying ‘iCloud storage cannot be displayed’ I can now see my storage as I used to. Good luck - hope this works for you 🙂.

James72
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 42

Go to solution

That worked! 😊 thanks

Molly11
Beginner
Message 20 of 42

Go to solution

I have also added www.icloud.com to my parental controls; guess what? I have access to iCloud and storage. This is a sneaky move by BT, probably because they have their own version BT cloud! I shall notify my contact at Apple...