cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

AppleTV and Smart Hub 6 - Mac cannot see the AppleTV?

Hi, 

Recently upgraded from HH5 to Smart Hub6 - have 3 Apple TVs in the house - 2 on Ethernet and 1 WiFi  - all 3 could see the iMac and could share music/movies that are stored on the iMac using Home Sharing. 

Changed to Smart Hub 6 - the 3 Apple TVs can still access the internet but are unable to see the iMac for Home Sharing. 

Similarly, the iMac cannot see the 3 Apple TV's - strangely, my iphones and my macbook air can see the appleTV but still not the Mac. 

Any thoughts on what is preventing the iMac from seeing the AppleTV to use Home Sharing? 

When I plug the HH5 back in - it all works fine again and Home Sharing can be seen across the AppleTV's and vice versa. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: AppleTV and Smart Hub 6 - Mac cannot see the AppleTV?

Why not just keep using the HH5, the HH6 has quite a few issues which are well documented on this forum?

If its not broken, why try to fix it?

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

More because I live in a old 3 storey house and heard the HH6 had much stronger wifi reach. I have Powerline Wifi extenders in the house anyway.

Just find it strange that my MBA can see the Apple TV through the HH6 but my iMac cannot?

Thanks for the prompt response

🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@shamps01 wrote:
More because I live in a old 3 storey house and heard the HH6 had much stronger wifi reach. I have Powerline Wifi extenders in the house anyway.

All wireless routers have the same power output, as this is a regulatory requirement. Wireless routers with multiple external aerials generally perform better, but BT stopped selling those after the home hub 1.5. Most third party routers do use external aerials, and perform better.

I personally think the advertising for the HH6 is misleading.

If you already have wireless extenders, then there is not advantage in the HH6.

The sharing issue may be due to the devices connecting on different wireless bands. Have you tried connecting everything to the 2.4G band?

You would need to split the wireless bands to do that, so the 5G SSID has a -5 at the end, otherwise you would no know which band you were connected to.

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks - the thing for me however is that my MBA iTunes can see the AppleTV and is on the same HH6 router and WiFi connection.  

The iMac cannot? 

Both of them worked on the HH5 but only the MBA works on the HH6. 

iPhones also work on the HH6. 

This is strange...

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Found it. HH6 had IPV6 turned on whereas the iMac wifi settings had it turned off so even though it had a IPV4 IP address it could not see the AppleTV's which are also on IP Addresses. Turning the iMac onto IPV6 automatically solved the issue. Not tried disabling IPV6 on the router yet - suspect that will also work.
0 Ratings