cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Are BT restricting the use of subscription VPN services?

Go to solution

I'm having an issue with very high latency connecting to my VPN service. The service is no longer usable. My VPN provider has suggested that my ISP may be restricting traffic. I have used the same VPN for four years without issue until now.

Does anyone have any info regarding this?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Are BT restricting the use of subscription VPN services?

Go to solution

Why would any ISP deliberately restrict traffic for using a VPN? Even if they did (which they don't) how would they restrict latency?

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks. I didn't think they were

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks to both work and my personal needs I have multiple VPN (server and client) connections available, none of which have ever shown the slightest sign of any restriction by Openreach or BT.  What is noticeable though is that throughput speeds are slower and latency is higher, but this is due to the processing needed to keep VPN tunnels up and working.
*My VPN connections are mostly handled by the router, but it's distinctly a more complex setup than many would have in place!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks. I have an OpenVPN client on my router and also in a docker container. I've had the same set-up with the same provider for a few years now. This is the first issue I have had. My latency was around 30-40ms, it's now 1000ms+.

I figured it was an issue on their side, so I opened a ticket on their helpdesk. The helpdesk guy seems adamant it's an ISP issue.

The service appears to be slowly resuming. Although, I'm still unable to run a speed test through my docker container.

0 Ratings