cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MasterOfHounds
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

As a rookie climber may struggle climbing the Himalayas - the HH5 struggles with wireless...

Hello my fellow BT Broadband users, for I have a questionin regards with wireless - but let me preface my question with the following statement:

I, MasterOfHounds, is aware that there are certain limitations with wireless and envriormental factor can come into play such as microwaves being used, digital cordless phone bases and other electrical items, in addition to but not limited to the walls of the house (which is only 20 years old) - I am still having issues with my wireless.

My Issue:

Below is a list of Wireless Devices which are, for the purposes of my issue, always connected:

• 2 x Google Chromecast
  • 2 x Apple iPhones
  • 1 x Apple iPad
  • 1 x Android Tablet

Below is a list of wired devices which are always connected:

• 1 x BT YouView Box to lan port 1
  • 1 x Powerline adapter to lan port 2
  • 1 x Powerline adapter upstairs via power
  • 1 x BT YouView Box connected to that

Below is a list of devices which occasionally connect via wireless:

• 1 x Laptop (every couple of day's or so, for my own use)
  • 2 x Playstation 3's but they are once or twice every couple of weeks when it takes my fancy to watch a Blu-Ray, but no for net use or gaming

These are my normaly devices which are connected from time to time and every weekend for a few hours my sister and her husband comes up with the kids, when they do my wireless expands to include these devices too, in addition to the above:

• 2 x iPhones
  • 1 x Apple iPad
  • 2 x 7 inch Android Tablets

Normally the HH5 works ok under this without any issues or groaning however over the festive season things got a bit strange. Before people ask, "Did you have christmas lights installed?" I will answer that now - no i did not. During the festive season my other sister from London came up and she normally brings up her own tech to use, excluding the 5 bits of tech mentioned above for my other sister, she has, all via wireless connected to my setup:

• 1 x iPhone
  • 1 x Android Phone
  • 2 x iPad's
  • 1 x Apple Mac Laptop

Which only cause some slight drop outs, but nother major - when both the sisters where up, that's when things started to get fun - some devices not connecting, drop outs on wireless etc... which caused frustrations. I done the following to help ease the sitaution:

• Changed the channels on the 2.4 Ghz from 1 to 6 to 11 and still no joy
  • Disabled 5 Ghz
  • Disabled 2.4 Ghz and enabled 5 Ghz
  • Changed Channels on the 5 Ghz
  • Changed the SSID of the 5 after re-enabling the 2.4 Ghz
  • Factory Reset the HH5
  • Power Cylced the modem

Same things happend during that time. Since the festive season is over and sister is back to london things have settled down. I was maybe thinking in ordering the Smart Hub or going for a 3rd party unit which can cope with this.

Can anyone provide any suggestsions to a fix for this issue when many devices are connected or a better hub?

Thanks

MasterOfHounds

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: As a rookie climber may struggle climbing the Himalayas - the HH5 struggles with wireless...

I take it you still want to see your sister so telling her not to visit won't be an option Smiley Wink

I would not consider getting a Smarthub, have a look through the forum to see the problems some people are having.

I note that you are still connecting through the Openreach modem. If you are happy to keep doing that you could buy a decent router with a WAN port. There are any number available that would cope with your devices.

If you want to do away with the Openreach modem you should consider a decent third party VDSL Modem/router. They start in price about £40 going up to a few hundred pounds. 

0 Ratings