Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 49

Re: Ask the Experts: Hub 4

DS

from the replies I have had back it does not appear there was any survey/question about making stats available on HH4

wonder who was included in the survey if not trialists?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 49

Ok.

I wonder if BT asked themselves.......

......as by removing them, it does take the pressure off their call centres - some may not understand what the stats mean.

Putting infinity aside, how are we now supposed to help our fellow sufferers?

Shall we ALL just reply with "call BT, they'll know what to do as we can't help without some stats".

(IMHO the stats should be there too on the infinity modem, rather than locking them away).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 49

the more people who get the HH4 expecting it to be a 'solve all' which your posts about it seem to disprove the less the forum members will be able to help.

I can see my stock post being

contact mods

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 44 of 49

@imjolly

Nah, thats contact BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 49

Without asking the trialists (I wasn't one), so far there are some with issues and some without. What we don't know is whether any known bugs were 'forgotten' to allow it to go in to mass production - like the new look box. I reported many issues and have it in writing that they were letting some go:(

John and a friend of his have no issues:)

Aidan and me do:( - the mod team are monitoring that thread after I flagged it.

I just don't get it and I agree, there will be a lot more replies sending them elsewhere for help. Kind of defeats the object.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 46 of 49

At the risk of upsetting BT , I am aware of the ongoing thread about alternative routers ,but would it be possible to start a new thread for people to say which routers show full ADSL stats at all ?

I am currently happy with my replacement 3a but if I wanted to upgrade it would not be to Hub 4.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 49

Good idea. Post one up as I can't see there being a problem.

Stats are useful, so if users want to use a router that shows these, at least our fellow forum contributors can carry on as before;)

Something along the lines of "replacement for the hub 4".......?

0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 48 of 49

@DS re msg 39 http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Ask-the-Experts-Hub-4/m-p/898606#M55483 and 40 the screenshots of the BT speed test does nothing to advance the discussion, the speed from exchange to device whether the device to router connections is Ethernet or WiFi all are typical of snapshots at any time and irrelevant.

The telling screenshot is that of your Windows client Wireless Network and Local Area connection speeds.

Your wireless speed is tolerable particularly as you say the adapter is half TX, your ethernet speed is NOT it tells me you have an 100base-T "Fast Ethernet" connection between the HH and your Windows client i.e. 100Mbps not a 1000base-T "Gigabit Ethernet" connection which could be 1000Mbps for the GigE (port 4). This could be for a number of reasons,

1: you could have plugged into port 1, 2 or 3 of the HH4 router which are only "Fast Ethernet" ports not "Gigabit" ports

2: the ethernet cable(s) are not up to spec or may not correctly wired or may not have all 8 cores (4 twisted pairs) correctly wired and in good condition.

3: all ethernet cables between your router and your windows client MUST be good fully wired Cat5e or better Cat6 and any switches Gigabit switches. If any 1 of the 8 wire cores is not up to snuff only a 100Mbps connection can be negotiated.

4: if port 4 is faulty, the ONLY Gigabit capable port then your hh4 is faulty and you may only get a Fast Ethernet connection

I have 3 Gigabit switches (2 Netgear GS605v2 and a GS608v3) and good cables between my iMac and the hh4.

I have inspected carefully with a magnifying glass for the correct coloured pin connections, some I even wired up myself, and a further 2 GS605v2 switches and a pair of Gigabit capable NAS in my home wired network and always get 1000Mbps gigabit connections between my computers, my NAS and, now I have a HH4, my router.

Good 802.11n wifi speeds will often exceed the "Fast Ethernet" theoretical maximum of 100Mbps

802.11n wifi speeds will always be a fraction of the "Gigabit Ethernet"  theoretical maximum of 1000Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 49

I did catch your pre edited reply, but couldn't reply at the time:(, but I can now:)

Indeed, it's only 10/100 (FE)

I didn't get this laptop for ethernet, in fact it was used via a mobile dongle for those hard to reach places (no hotspots). Dongle long gone now, but as this laptop still performs like the day I got it, I'll be running it in to the ground;)

Port 1,2,3 or GigE all give me 100Mbps (as expected as it's the max I can get)

I've also decided to stay on ADSL as the 12Mbps is currently enough for our needs.

0 Ratings