Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Asus DSL-AC68U or Netgear D7000

I'm contemplating switching from a Home Hub to one of these and, having read through a few reviews and comments on here, it seems both are pretty well respected (though possibly the modem in the Asus could be a weak link?). Also, both are widely available and priced similarly, so not a clear cut winner.

But I was wondering whether the fact that I'm connected to an ECI cabinet should have any bearing on my choice?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Asus DSL-AC68U or Netgear D7000

It would depend on whether you would need the router to fully support IPv6.  Netgear don't at the moment and their support people seemingly told a forum user that they have no intention of fixing the issue.  It's likely any modem issues with the Asus have been addressed in the latest models.  Only some more research will answer that.

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi Liam, not particularly bothered about IPv6, but the modem issue does concern me....don't want to see any significant decrease in speeds. I can't see any reference to the latest updates having fixed this, though maybe they have...if indeed the problem did ever exist. Overall, I think reliability, wired performance and quality of both port forwarding and QOS would be my priorities.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You may not be bothered about IPv6 now, but you might be in the near future when sites become IPv6 only. @TimCurtis of this parish speaks highly of the Asus.

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

True...good point.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Been looking around for reports of modem issues with Asus kit in general hence the delay getting back.  Either all the search terms I used were off the mark or there isn't actually a problem per se.  Likely down to line problems or the odd faulty device slipping through.  Nothing definite pointing to the Asus kit in general.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 10

I have an Asus rt-ac3200 with an external Netgear DM200 modem really happy with the combo apart from an upgrade to enterprise level kit I wouldn't swap it for anything.
0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Hmm....found several myself but not sure I'm permitted to identify them on here? Possibly fixed last year via firmware and ensuring certain settings are in place

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 9 of 10

A firmware fix seems very likely.  Quite a few DSL related fixes over the last year.  Most recent was March 21.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

The Asus now is rock solid.

Initially there were quite a few issues with stability but they were fixed probably over 18months ago.

It's so good I persuaded my son to get one & he's more than happy with it.

0 Ratings