cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Asus DSL-AC68U

Hi , I upgraded to the new firmware a week or so ago (3.0.0.4.382_50302-g1568898), but over the last few days have been experiencing a lot of DSL dropouts with the sync speed decreasing after most reconnects. I suspect not related  to the new firmware as the droputs didn't start as soon as I upgraded, but still thought it worth checking if anyone here has experienced similar?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Asus DSL-AC68U

I haven't upgrade to the latest firmware yet (still running version 3.0.0.4.384_20648), but I find the AC68U DSL router a rock solid piece of hardware.  I never get drop outs at all.

Did you notice any issues running the previous version of the firmware?

I'll probably upgrade this weekend so I'll post back here if I notice simliar issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes, I too have been really happy with the Asus and I'd wager it's not at fault here. The only drop outs previously (and with the last firmware) were over a short duration and the cause actually turned out to be a faulty phone. I 'think' that the current issue started about 3 or 4 days after I upgraded the firmware and I would guess a firmware issue would have shown itself pretty much immediately, but the timing was close enough for a little doubt...hence my post.

So I suspect this is probably something to report to BT. I'll hook up my old Smart Hub tomorrow to rule out the Asus and also because I guess BT will want that connected to go through the diagnostics.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

I'm happily still on Version 3.0.0.4.380.7712  & will stay there for a while.

@SuperFlyGuy

Where did you get 3.0.0.4.384_20648 from as that is not a DSL-AC68U version that I can see?

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Ah, my mistake @TimCurtis, mine is the RT-AC68U. D'oh.

Apologies for the confusion.  Mine still connects through the original Openreach modem.

I still rate the Asus routers though, although they're not cheap.

When my Openreach modem does eventually pack up, I'll probably upgrade to the DSL version, as used by yourself and @yabadaba.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@SuperFlyGuy

Glad it was your mistake, thought I might have been missing out on something.Smiley LOL

I previously used the RT-N66 with an OR modem which is now my backup.

Asus are expensive but worth the extra I think.

Better get back on topic now though.

@yabadaba

You can probably downdate your firmware to see if the latest version is the issue. Can't get to the Asus forum now to see what might be happening as it seems to have disappeared Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Okay, the issue has persisted with the last DSL drop out and reconnect at 4am, leaving me with a reported downstream data rate of 16495 kbps (and an unecessarily high 13,7 dB SNR), from 50k+ a couple of weeks ago. BT can't see any issues when they do their line checks and an engineer is due to come out next week.

In advance of the engineer visit I'm going to try (another) factory reset with the current/new firmware, then if I notice any further disconnects I'll factory reset again and flash with the previous firmware and as a last resort I will connect my Smart Hub. What I want to avoid is the engineer concluding it's an issue with any of my devices (though I doubt it) and landing me with the callout charge! 

Has anyone tried the new firmware yet - or happy to stay put?

0 Ratings