cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: Asus DSL-AC88u (or other VDSL modem suggestions below) to replace ageing HG612 for Infinity.

I've taken a punt on the ZyXel VMG8324 based on the Kitz review and the fact that nearly everyone who owns one says it syncs faster than the HG612 and also has less errors. 

Hopefully with the ZyXel it will lower the errors enough to get me back on fastpath, not holding out much hope but my line did hold fastpath for a while when it was fixed then dropped back to interleaved earlier this year.

My intention is to shove it in bridge mode like the HG612 and then use my RT-AC68u to do all the heavy lifting of the network as its a fantastic router and one I can highly reccomend to anyone!

Thanks for all your help guys!

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 12 of 19

Re: Asus DSL-AC88u (or other VDSL modem suggestions below) to replace ageing HG612 for Infinity.

Well had to cancel the ZyXEL as the seller had it listed wrong and it was a John Lewis locked 8924 rather than an 8324. However I shall probably get a ZyXEL as it looks like I can get one around the £50 mark.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 13 of 19

Right I have another ZyXEL on order. £53 in total but from what I have read it will be worth it for the potential higher sync rate and potentially more stable line due to the newer hardware.

pxr5
Contributor
Message 14 of 19

If you aren't in a rush, you should be able to bid on a used Zyxel for about £25. Mine was brand new for £35. The 8924 has the 5Ghz which the 8324 hasn't
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 15 of 19

Well it arrived today, turns out it was the VMG8924 rather than the 8324 so I got a better router for the money which is almost a shame that its been shoved into modem only mode 🙂

So far I havent seen a sync increase shamefully however my max attainable is now the highest sustained it has ever been at over 70Mb and although sync has stayed at 58Mb due to DLM the SNR has increased to 6.6db and the FEC errors have dropped.

Hopefully a few days of this on the line might get DLM to give me some speed back, although I am fighting to get an engineer out for a really low upload at the moment but that is another topic for another day.

So far the ZyXEL has been a noticable improvement and one I can highly reccomend, mine was brand new in box off ebay and it has a manufacture date of October 2017 so its not one thats been in storage for years.

0 Ratings
pxr5
Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Good stuff. Maybe once the DLM sorts itself out your connection may get nearer to the max attainable. Fingers crossed.

The more I use the the Zyxel the more I like it, though I did have some problems last night with a wireless printer (which was fine on the HH5A). Eventalluy got it working through a manual configuartion - but not fun. Now just need to sort it out with all the other PCs.

I've got DSLStats running with it too. I'd like to autosave the outpus to a cloud somewhere, but haven't figured that out yet. Or I may just run the stats on a Pi.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 17 of 19

Mine is in modem only mode and an ASUS RT-AC68u is doing the heavy lifting of the network.

Although though even though I’ve disabled all the NAT and DHCP on the ZyXEL I’m still seeing stuff listed under the NAT status on the ZyXEL gui. I’ve set it up as per the Kitz forum instructions, so I don’t think I have anything to worry about and I don’t think it’s double NAT by accident.
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 18 of 19

So the errors have dropped siginficantly!

The HG612 at around 30hours connected had over 8million FEC's proving interleaving was doing its job correctly in keeping my speed restricted.

The ZyXEL at 28hours connected has just over 140,000 FEC's so a MASSIVE reduction, hopefully DLM will like this and release some more speed to me at some point.

pxr5
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Just read something intereting over at Kitz forum about these Zyxel modem/routers in that the VMG8x24-B10As and VMG1312-B10As with BCM63168 chipsets have a pre-front-end noise filter. Which is the reason why they sync higher than any other. No source on this information but it seems to be true and based on my own findings, certainly the case.
0 Ratings