cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 1 of 19

Asus DSL-AC88u (or other VDSL modem suggestions below) to replace ageing HG612 for Infinity.

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the new Asus DSL-AC88u modem/router?

My current setup is an Asus RT-AC68u router connected via my old unlocked Huawei Openreach modem and for the most part it works absolutely fine.

However the Openreach modem is now getting on in age (it’s nearly 7years old) and the newer modems such as the one in the god awful Smart Hub seem to connect slightly quicker and are a bit more stable on my line.

I’m on around 500 meters of line length and my connection hovers between 50-60Mb down and 9-11Mb up.

The Smart Hub always seems to connect around a meg or 2 quicker than the Openreach modem, and more crucially when the line has a period of instability it seems to hold on to the connection for dear life.

For example my Smart Hub connected to my line after a power cut and obtained really fast speeds much faster than normal as everyone else’s routers hadn’t established connections, when the crosstalk was present again after everyone else connected the Smart Hub still held on to my connection with a SNR of 2db for nearly a week until BT Rebooted it to enable BT WiFi (which I never use by the way)
The Openreach modem however usually dropped that kind of connection in less than 24hours.

Now I know I could use the Smart Hub as it was intended but that thing has amazing hardware let down by shoddy software and it caused me no end of problems and was the catalyist that drove me to a 3rd party router of which the Asus RT-AC68u has been AMAZING!! Literally set it and forget it.

My ideal config would be shove the Smart Hub into modem only mode and then use the Asus as the router which will never happen because that’s not what BT wants.

So it leads me to this question:

Would a ASUS DSL-AC88u be a good replacement for the Openreach modem?

From what the limited info I can find from other users on paper the thing should be AMAZING but it does have a few teething issues as it’s very new and there hasn’t been many firmware updates for it.

The reason I’m looking at the 88u instead of the slightly cheaper more proven DSL-AC68u is because it has a much newer VDSL modem im it which actually supports G.Fast so I am future proof with that bad boy, plus I’ve seen that the DSL-AC68u can have issues on less than perfect lines such as my own, although I think newer firmware has sorted most of those issues.

I have tried a TP-Link w9970 in modem only mode but that was worse than the Openreach modem especially on the upload side of things.

So does anyone have experience of either the 68u or 88u as modems or is there another VDSL modem that will do well on a less than ideal line?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I figure if I explain everything I can get more accurate replies back.

Thanks
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Asus DSL-AC88u (or other VDSL modem suggestions below) to replace ageing HG612 for Infinity.

I've been using the DSL-AC68U for a couple of years now and whilst initially there were a couple of issues with the firmware they were quickly fixed by Asus.

Since then it's been absolutely rock solid.

As for the DSL-AC88U I've no experience but as with the AC68U there were some initial firmware issues I believe but if I was replacing my AC68U & was looking for a G.Fast modem/router I'd go for it.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 3 of 19

Re: Asus DSL-AC88u (or other VDSL modem suggestions below) to replace ageing HG612 for Infinity.

I'm not nessacarily fussed about G.Fast support as no doubt by the time it arrives I'll either (A) be replacing the whole network anyway or (B) not be eligable for it anyway due to line length/quality.

What I would like is though a decent stable VDSL modem that I can view stats on (not nessacarily the full telnet stats like the HG612) and that is slightly more modern and may give me better speeds and stability that may reduce the interleave I have set.

I was looking at the DSL-AC68u too as it now supports the full AIMesh which means I can link it to my exising RT-AC68u for a full mesh network. The DL-AC68u seems to get more updates as the modem is a seperate unit bolted to an existing RT-AC68u, wheras the 88u the modem is part of the whole SOC and as such it seems to be quite far behind in getting some of the features my older 68u has. I dont doubt they will come eventually but the firmware development for it seems very slow and thats a worry especially as some have reported flaky wifi and other issues that will likely be ironed out in firmware but may be months down the road if at all.

Glad your experience with the DSL-AC68u was positive though, has it improved speed and stability for you at all?

One of the reasons I was looking at the 88u is one professional review site said it managed to boost their connection by 5Mb which is rather impressive.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 19

I've never used a HomeHub to compare against, my only Infinity setup has been using the HG612 with an Asus RT-N66U before upgrading to the DSL-AC68U. Can't really comment on sync speed comparisons between the 2 combos as my line conditions have changed over the past few years but I can state the the AC68U has been rock solid , as I've already said, as has my son's which he's had for maybe 18months.

Stability is often a factor of the line condition rather than the modem/router as I'm sure you know , unless you're using a HomeHub which can be up & down like a yo-yo.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 5 of 19

I have to admit I quite like the DSL-AC68u as its just my RT but with a DSL modem bolted on. I may look into it, I'm gonna take my time and see if the 88u firmware gets a bit better. I'm in no hurry as the Openreach modem works fine for now, that is unless there are other VDSL modems that are much cheaper that will do the job with my RT-AC68u.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

You could look at the Netgear DM200 at about £35 for a standalone modem.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 7 of 19

Yeah I did see that one, but I believe it has a Lantiq chip which even though I’m on an ECI cabinet the Broadcom based modems are meant to be better on a longer line such as mine.

The only reason I’m even looking into this is because of the difference between the Openreach modem and the Smart Hub, the Openreach one has served me well for years but newer tech might perform better on my line.
0 Ratings
pxr5
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

My BT Infinty2 has been fine over the last few years with a Home Hub 5A. However the max data rate has slowly been erroded from 88mbps to 74mbps due to, I assume, crosstalkers.

I recently got a Zyxel VMG8924-10A and installed it this morning. My connection has improved by 5mbps, which I'm impressed with and max data rate is now dead on 80mbps and actual is 79.70mbps. Speedtests show this improvement too. For a few quid off ebay, I'm over the moon and it's lovely router to use. Wifi seems on a par with the HH5A.

I believe too it runs dslstats, so I'll look into that as well.

0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 9 of 19

I've heard good things about the ZyXel modems, by all accounts they are a good drop in for the Openreach modem. Shove it in bridge mode and put it in front of a more powerful router. I read that one of the ZyXels boosted a connection by around 5Mb/s over the HG612 due to the much newer better chipset.

My have to look on the Bay to see if any going cheap.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

They seem to be very popular with the Kitz crowd https://kitz.co.uk/

0 Ratings