cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeekGamming
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Asus RT-AC5300

Hello i am struggling setting up my device to use instead of my current router issue is i can connect it to the original router and it works fine but i want to have it as a stand alone router i have tried to follow guides but with no luck anyone got any ideas of why it isnt working and how i can fix this issue 🙂 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Asus RT-AC5300

That device is just a router, not a modem/ router. You can't use it stand alone with fttc, you need a modem as well.

0 Ratings
GeekGamming
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

So would i need to make it connect to my current BT modem? If that is the case any recomendation?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

I'm not entirely sure from your posts what broadband service you have, you seem to imply you currently have a BT modem and a separate BT hub. Can you clarify what service you currently have.

If you have FTTP with an optical modem (ONT) you can connect the Asus directly to the ONT without using the BT Hub.

If you have superfast FTTC, you need a standalone modem (such as Openreach Huawei HG612) and connect the Asus to that.

If you have ultrafast FTTC (G.Fast) then you are going to be struggling to source a modem to use with the Asus.

The BT hub doesn't have a modem only mode, so if you use the Asus in conjunction with that you will just be using the Asus as an expensive wireless access point.

0 Ratings
GeekGamming
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Hi there yeah i belive i am currently on the superfast deal or the one that is £39.99 with estimated speed of 100 if that helps?  

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Not really, that's just marketing  guff not the technology that delivers it.

How is your broadband delivered, by copper or a fibre directly to your home? Do you have an optical modem (ONT) like this?

thumbs_fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

0 Ratings
GeekGamming
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

My broadband is done via fibre i belive i will take a pic of it when i get home

0 Ratings
GeekGamming
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

hey i tried to upload the pics but due to the picture quality it wont let me on the forms if u got a email i can send them to that would be great but i got the new smart hub 2 i belive with my deal and as stated before got 100mbps
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Reduce the size of the pictures to post.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Do you have an ONT like the picture I posted?

0 Ratings