Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJCollis97
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Asus RT-AX92U + HG612 Help

So the old setup is:

BT Hub 4 adsl with the BT powerline extender.

For the new setup we will still be on BT Superfast Fibre with a 64mb stay fast guarantee, however the Kit we now have will be: 

• BT Openreach Huawei VDSL HG612
  • 2 x Asus RT-AX92U

I'm not very familiar with networking and for now we have one AX92U connected via Ethernet and the other is connected on the dedicated 5ghz band.

The issue's I've currently got are:

1. Spotty connectivity (the devices are connect but the internet is slugish)   
  2. IPv6 just isn't working
  3. There is currently a powerline that is touching (overlayed) our broadband cable, will this be causing issues/ can I diagnose them.
  4. Are they any settings in particular I should put for the asus router?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
AJCollis97
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Asus RT-AX92U + HG612 Help

1. Product name:BT Home Hub

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 (Type A) Last updated 27/02/19
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:4 days, 05:28:45
6. Data rate:19999 / 79885
7. Maximum data rate:24991 / 79958
8. Noise margin:8.8 / 3.2
9. Line attenuation:6.5 / 8.3
10. Signal attenuation:6.5 / 8.3
11. Data sent/received:14.3 GB / 143.5 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
0 Ratings
ThinkPadUser
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

On the modem side, since you have a HG612, I would recommend "unlocking" the modem to access the stats on it since the stats from a Home Hub may be different from the ones from your HG612.

You can learn how to do it here (at your own risk):

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612hacking.htm

For the two routers, due to how new they are we can't try alternative firmware like OpenWRT to get IPv6 to work since third party router support for BT's implementation of IPv6 is lacking and using OpenWRT is one of the only ways of getting IPv6 to work in my experience.

Can you also confirm if network sluggishness is on both access points or just one of them?

If you don't mind losing BT parental controls, you can try setting your router DNS to 1.1.1.1 to see if that improves device loading times.

0 Ratings
AJCollis97
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

So tried to unlock the modem but couldn't figure out where to download the firmware.

The internet isnt sluggish anymore but does seem to be dropping out every so often.

I have the router set up with PPPoe with the correct username and have set the DNS to manual using 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1

I have also just now after the last drop of internet cloned the Mac address of the old BT hub onto the new Asus Router in the hope that this helps.

Any suggestions as to how I can trouble shoot the reason for the drops would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Which gives a link to ............

https://mega.nz/folder/LdJFDIJL#e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w/folder/aNpjALAB

Use the webgui version of the firmware

0 Ratings
AJCollis97
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks, 

Something I'll try when I get chance tomorrow.

Still need help with  "suggestionsas to how I can trouble shoot the reason for the drops would be greatly appreciated."

0 Ratings
ThinkPadUser
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

For the drops between access points, I suspect that it has something to do with your clients switching between access points. Are you using the mesh system or having them both on different SSIDs?

0 Ratings
AJCollis97
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Was using mesh with same SSID's but called by and theyve sent a free Smart Hub 2 so I'm just going to buy one disc and be done with it.

0 Ratings
ThinkPadUser
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Ok then, good luck with your Smart Hub 2!

0 Ratings