cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Asus Rt Ac68u speeds with Ultrafast 2

I have been lucky enough to have a new fibre optic line installed by openreach directly into my property. I have signed up to the ultrafast 2 broadband (330mbps down and 50mbps up). Once everything was setup and good to go I was excited to run some tests to see how things performed.

With the BT Smart Hub 2 I consistently get 330mbps down and 50mbps up. Doesn't seem to matter what time of day or night, peak times etc. Tests are run with speedtest.net with cat6 cable directly into my Pc and no one else using my network. Can you imagine my delight coming from 6mbps down and 0.8mbps up.

Once satisfied that everything is performing optimally, I done what most advanced users will probably do and packaged up the Bt smart hub and plugged in my Asus Rt Ac68u which I'm sure most will agree absolutely dwarfs the smart hub.

This is where I am looking for some advise. The Rt Ac68u running the same speed tests under the same conditions maxes out at 230mbps down and 50mbps up. I realise that this is still astronomical performance, but surely the smart hub is not the superior device.

If anyone could offer some advice or tips as what could be the reason for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Asus Rt Ac68u speeds with Ultrafast 2

Make sure you have NAT acceleration enabled - I think this is labelled as CTF (Cut through forward) on Asus routers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thank you for your very quick response, I will try this when I get home and report back. Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Nat acceleration is already enabled, I also have Qos, Ai protection etc off but same results. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Have you installed the latest firmware?  I would do a factory reset and set it up from scratch with just NAT acceleration enabled.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Sorry I should have mentioned, the latest Merlin F/W is installed and factory reset was done. Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@SnoopySingh 

I know the benefits of Merlin firmware on Asus routers but I'd give the latest Asus firmware a try just in case there's an issue with Merlin's.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it and report back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I have a very busy household, so testing is difficult, even at 3am someone will complain about internet not working due to me rebooting or running tests.

There is something that I wish to confirm about the first 10 days of the service going live and line training. I am not sure whether this applies to FTTP or not. I am still within my 10 days, however I have my RT AC68u plugged in instead of the BT SmartHub 2. Will this affect the line training?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 11

10 days does not affect FTTP. The fibre goes to your ONT anyways.
--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings