cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Asus dsl ac68u works for an hour then says "network cable unplugged"

Hi I have recently "upgraded" to An Asus dsl ac68u. 

Once it boots the Internet works fine and the router seems to work great, then after an hour or so it just says "internet cable unplugged" until I reboot it and then it works again for another hour or so until we get the same issue. 

If I plug the BT router back in the internet works fine. Obviously the solution to just use the BT "smart"hub is annoying because I would like to use the QOS as we have alot of devices using connection.

Any help on solving the issue would be appreciated

Cheers 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Asus dsl ac68u works for an hour then says "network cable unplugged"

@DillanColleer 

Where did you buy the Asus from as I think it might just be faulty?

I don't suppose that the Account Settings page DOESN'T match mine - specifically the Disconnect etc setting:-

TimCurtis_0-1615542212747.png

That's the only setting I could think of that might affect things.

The other thing is that you have a fault on the line that the Asus can't recover from whereas the SmartHub can. My son has the same Asus as me (and you) and was losing the internet quite regularly so we initially put it down to the Asus being faulty but I tried it for a week with no issues at all and he went have to the SmartHub with no problems until he realised his speeds were dropping and the SH2 was frequently disconnecting/reconnecting without him knowing. He talked to other neighbours , not all with BT , and they were having speed issues. Eventually OpenReach found & fixed a problem and his Asus is back up & running successfully.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

This has been my quiet conclusion aswell tbh, I had a bt engineer come out yesterday and he found water in the joint outside my home and repaired that, this fixed a latency issue I was having. Now I suspect that the cable either from my how to the street or from the street to the cabinet is faulty and causing a drop out that like you say the Asus just can't recover from but the homehub is "hiding" I will look for a log of some sort and try to confirm when I get home today.

I was getting randomly disconnected from online games before I moved to the Asus that I thought was caused by a Mac book in the house that would sync to iCloud and saturate the upload bandwidth the QOS fixed this issue but perhaps this issue was ongoing but I never noticed it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It took my son quite a few calls to BT & visits from OpenReach before his (and his neighbours') issue was resolved.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@DillanColleer 

Been looking at this a bit more and the photo shows the default settings for PPPEcho in the Internet Connection page:-

TimCurtis_0-1615565881631.png

Suggestions are to lower the interval to 4 (secs) and the max failure to 4 also. This results in the loss of PPP much sooner and may make recovery work better. Worth a try perhaps.

The suggestion mentioned by @Les-Gibson was for a totally different issue.

0 Ratings