cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willy456
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Atrocious lag playing online games after switching to BT Infinity

So a few months ago we switched from very slow speed ADSL (around 3.5mbps download) to much faster fibre (FTTC, around 45-50mbps). Which sounds great, and it is in terms of general browsing and streaming etc. But it's a whole different story when you try playing an online multiplayer game. Of course I experienced lag on the ADSL connection but it just got a whole lot worse the moment the engineer plugged us in at the cabinet on our street. Constant stuttering (every few secs), enemy players teleporting all over the place, 50% of your shots not registering, dying before you see who's shooting at you, horrible movement and control issues etc. So yeah not great.

We're paying more for a better service, so why is this element of the internet so much worse? Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Atrocious lag playing online games after switching to BT Infinity

@willy456 

All you are paying for is a faster speed for delivering TV and other media, that is the network priority. You are sharing the connection in the cabinet with lots of other people, so latency will depend on how many others are using the common connection. For TV delivery, this is not important.

ADSL is different, in that you have almost a direct connection into the core network from the MSAN in the exchange. There are very few people streaming TV content owing to the limited bandwidth, so latency is considerably reduced.

It you wanted the faster connection to deliver all the extra TV channels, then you have no option but to stick with FTTC.

There are loads of threads on this forum about latency issues on FTTC.

Start here https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Latency-Variation-Ping-Spikes-during-online-gam...

willy456
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response.

Interesting thread. I've read most of it now. Bare in mind most those people seem to be attempting to stream at the same time as playing online games. I only attempt to play when I know the network is free.

Regarding the extra TV channels, presumably you're referring to the BT TV/IPTV packages. We are not subscribed to these and have no real interest in them. Don't get me wrong the extra speed is nice if you need to stream or download something, but really I would just like to play a few games of Battlefield without crippling lag ruining the experience.

One suggestion in that thread was to try using the BTWifi-with-FON network instead. I tried this earlier and it actually did seem more stable for gaming. Kind of ridiculous paying for high speed fibre broadband and then having to sign in to use the free wireless network because it does it better. Ultimately I would like to do it properly using a hard wired connection so not sure if this is a long-term solution.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @willy456 welcome back to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're experiencing lag when gaming, have you tried setting up port forwarding to see if that helps? I'd also recommend connecting directly your PC or console directly to the router via ethernet as wifi is prone to external interference which may be impacting your gaming experience.

0 Ratings
willy456
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi, thanks for the response.

Of course I always try to play over a wired connection, but this is where I experience the worst of the lag and I honestly see no improvement over using Wi-Fi.

Have also tried port forwarding, placing the console in a DMZ with a static IP,  as well as fiddling with various other settings in the router manager. Again no difference other than to occasionally make things worse.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @willy456, I've sent you a private message so you can send over your details to the moderation team and we'll be happy to check the line.

0 Ratings