Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idonex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Atrocious wireless speeds with HH3

Hi,

Just recently (over the pas 10 days or so) i've started having massive problems with the wireless on my HH3. I have FTTP (BT Infinity 160) and i started noticing all streaming services were buffering and dropping to a really poor quality. I ran speed tests on speedtest.net and BTW Speed Checker and it was coming back with sub 2Mbps for the download and next to nothing (30k or so) for uploads. Same results on running the checkers on my Android tablet and iPhone so this is not a PC issue. Packet loss when pinging the router was about 50% with a 300ms ping time.

I tested with a wired connection and it was fine at 90 down/20 up (well i say fine, it is only 60% of what i'm paying for but that's another matter) with no packet loss and 0ms ping.

I turned the HH3 on and off, didnt fix it.

I hard reset the HH3, didnt fix it.

So i manually changed the HH3 to a different channel (from 6 to 3) and it fixed it, wireless speeds were back up to 80Mbps. Then a few days later the same thing happened. This time i changed it back from channel 3 to 6 and it fixed it again. But it's just happened again today. This time i've switched it from 6 to 11 and its working ok again.

The HH3 has worked fine for 18 months and i've changed nothing till this problem.

Is the HH3 likely to be broken?

Anyone seen this issue before?

Thanks

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Neil8568
Beginner
Message 2 of 16

Re: Atrocious wireless speeds with HH3

I have experienced an almost identical problem for last few days. Even with a direct line of site it is now saying hub is out of range.

0 Ratings
richnalli
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

I have the exact same problem. When i switch channels and do a speedtest i i get 30-35mbps download and within 10 minutes the speed has dropped to half that and the next day i usually get less than 2mbps.  The speed immediately jumps back up when i change the channel but it wont maintain it ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Try downloading and running inSSider. This will show you the wireless channels that your Homehub/router is transmitting on as well as the surrounding networks. You want to take a note of the channels in use and change your Homehub onto a channel that is not being used.

See Link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

See link for inSSIDer

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I find that channel 13 is usually the best and least congested even although it overlaps with channel 11.

If it has just started recently did it coincide with putting up Christmas lights, not necessarily in your own house but nearby, as they can affect wireless signals.

0 Ratings
idonex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

I've used WiFiAnalyzer and WifiInfoView and they both say channel 6 is the best, however that is the channel that was giving me 500K/sec on wireless until i switched to 11 (ironically this is the worst channel listed by those apps) which gave me about 90Mb/s again. I then switched back to 6 immediately and it was fine again.

It seems the issue is always fixed (temporarily) by switching to any other wireless channel, as if the channel change itself resets something in the HH.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Channels 1,6 and 11 are the three channels used by "smart wireless" on the Homehub and virtually ever other wireless router use one of these channels as the default channel.

While you may select channel 6 because it is least congested at the moment, if another Homehub decides to switch channel because of "smart wireless" it could switch onto channel 6 and this could now interfere with your wireless signal.

You are far better to try and use a channel other than 1,6 and 11. As I said I have found channel 13 to be the best however it might not be for you so just try working your way through them until you find the best for you.

If you do decide to use channel 13 and you get a warning that your devices can not use it just ignore the warning. It is because channel 13 is not used in the USA. Your devices will connect to it OK.

0 Ratings
alphxomega
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

I don't think you understand the problem, no matter what wireless channel we switch to we get the same problem over time and have to switch again.

Where I am there are no other wifi signals picked up by my computer or phone so the chances of it being interference from other HH users who just happen to also be switching to the same channels is extremely low.

And yes I have tried channel 13 and it yeilds the exact same results.
0 Ratings
idonex
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Nothing can connect on channel 13 at all. PC, iPhone, Tablet etc, all fail.

And now it's even worse. Roughly every 45 seconds or so every device loses the wireless connection and reconnects.

Only thing in Event Viewer is:

Name resolution timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{4B3B2B1C-FE28-49CA-8685-2A88699590F7} because a master browser was stopped.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was successfully sent a stop control.

The HH3 logs are full of:

19:48:29, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 80:d2:1d:05:c8:af IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:48:17, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 74:e5:0b:68:97:14 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:48:12, 02 Jan.ath0: STA b8:3e:59:a6:11:cf IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:48:12, 02 Jan.( 978.200000) Rescan, Reason: 'Power-up'
19:47:53, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 80:d2:1d:05:c8:af IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:41, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 74:e5:0b:68:97:14 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:36, 02 Jan.ath0: STA b8:3e:59:a6:11:cf IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:36, 02 Jan.( 942.420000) Rescan, Reason: 'Power-up'
19:47:17, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 80:d2:1d:05:c8:af IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:05, 02 Jan.ath0: STA 74:e5:0b:68:97:14 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:00, 02 Jan.ath0: STA b8:3e:59:a6:11:cf IEEE 802.11: Client associated
19:47:00, 02 Jan.( 906.460000) Rescan, Reason: 'Power-up'

They correspond to the errors in Event Viewer and the MAC addresses are my laptop, iPhone and tablet (only wireless things currently on)

I don't see how this can be anything other than a HH3 fault. So now i'll have to ring BT 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Have you tried a full factory reset of the hub
0 Ratings
richnalli
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Im at the stage where i have had four calls to BT to resolve this issue. The trained chimps in the call centre stick to their script very well and go through the motions of checking the settings for you. i was told on all occasions that there is no problem with the line, the connection or the homehub.. As i am no longer under a contrect with BT I suggested that it may be time to give plusnet or sky a chance of helping me with my problem. i was put through to customer services where i signed up for a new contract (cheaper than before) with a new homehub 5 on its way to me as i type. i will repost when i have set it up to let you know if it was  the homehub 3 that was faulty. 

0 Ratings