I'm starting to have problems with some devices connected through wifi to my smart hub. When first switched on, everything is fine but after a couple of minutes the device disconnects and goes through a cycle of scanning, connecting, scanning, connecting... before letting me know that there is an authentication problem. Then in a few minutes, if left alone, it will connect again and work fine for a few minutes before going through the whole thing again, again, again.
Mainly happening with my Sony devices (Z5 phone and a Z4 tablet, so they are not old technology). My tablet does now want to update, but of course it can't connect for long enough to do so and won't update using the mobile network.
Any ideas what is going on? It doesn't seem to be a problem with my partner's archaic Samsung device or his old Sony phone (or the Sony television/Sky wifi box downstairs); the problem seems to be with the newer devices! Should mention that I have not had this problem before and I've had the smart hub working fine since its installation; this is a new problem.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.
See link how to do that.
Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). You should try splitting them.
I have just tried splitting my broadband and also turning off the smarthub. I am still having this issue. Can you please assist?
I only encountering this issue where I am using applications where I am logged into my Google account (i.e. Chrome, Google Launcher, Gmail, Youtube)
Frustratingly I am also getting Authentication problem connecting a new Android mobile phone. It works wih my old phone and also connects the new one via BT FON.
This doesnt make a lot of sense and have tried disabling Smart setup and dividing lines to no effect.
Much resetting of hub and phone but no effect.
Splitting the wireless band ssids seems to be working for me today. It's a shame that the chat assistants don't seem to know about this though.
And if the wireless bands need splitting, let's not have them together to begin with, surely? Why have a default setting that isn't going to work for a large group of people when combining the wireless bands is no more than a minor convenience to a small subset of devices?
My problem is not connecting 5Ghz or dual band devices. Quite the opposite. The problem is connecting 2.4 Ghz Android devices to a single ssid supporting both 5 and 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz and dual devices worked fine with this setting. Not particularly old android devices either, I have. The suspicious thing is that all would stop working at the same moment, it seemed, after working for quite a while.
Anyway, I've added another access point now and so far, fingers crossed, it's solid.
Spoke too soon - all android devices lost connections at the same time last night, then iOS device also got dropped and started complaining of authentication problems today. About 4 reboots per day at the moment to keep wireless connections operating. What a waste of time and money.