Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Avaya 9650 VoIP Phone problems with Smart Hub 6

Hi,

I've been working from home with the same model of phone for a few years now and recently I had a few issues with the phone resulting in a new one being sent out to me. Until this arrives I'm using a colleagues phone as a temporary fix (he also works from home and has the exact same model).

I've connected his phone and it goes through the usual VPN credentials but then it goes to 'Discover xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'. Now this is a working phone and has worked fine for my colleague who is with Virgin.

I've gone through every setting it the router and even reset it to default but I can't get it past the 'Discovery' message. Now this is were I know its something to do with the router. I've tethered a 4G dongle to a laptop and using Internet sharing I've connected the phone via to it and the phone is working so why doesn't it work through my router?

I've looked at port forward settings and tried these but no look. Tried enabling SIP/ALG (off by default) but still no joy. Is there anything else I've missed? Oh yes I have tried connecting it direct to the router also as I usually have it connected via homeplugs but still the same message.

Everything else in the house is working fine, PS4's, laptops, Smart Phones and TV's, all with no issues of connection.

I've searched the web and I have seen a few people post similar issues but no definite resolution.

The thing is this was all ok until my original phone went faulty so the only thing that has changed is a MAC Address. So whether there is some reason BT are using some port blocking security and allowed my original phones MAC address and because this has now changed.....I really don't know but it is driving me insane!!!! 

Merry Xmas πŸ˜‰

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Avaya 9650 VoIP Phone problems with Smart Hub 6

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you opted out of BT Web Address help?

http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/

Try turning Smart Setup off, as that detects new devices and can upset things.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Is this a BT Business broadband connection?

0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

No this is a home broadband connection and Smart Setup is already turned off

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@G1ggs wrote:
No this is a home broadband connection and Smart Setup is already turned off

Thanks

Did you check that you were opted out? You have to check this while connected to your broadband.

0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

I've just opted out. Would this affect the phone?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

@G1ggs wrote:
I've just opted out. Would this affect the phone?

It can cause DNS request to fail, and you end up on a BT web help page.

Now you have opted out, try restarting the home hub, so your public IP address changes, and see if things are any better.

G1ggs
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Oh OK Thanks, I'll try it later
Merry Xmas!
0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Hi,

Sorry but still having the same issue. Even after opting out of BT Web Address help

Thanks

0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Hi again,
Just received another phone and still the same issue so it is definitely something with my router
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

@G1ggs wrote:
Hi again,
Just received another phone and still the same issue so it is definitely something with my router

All I can suggest is to use a different router, prices start at about Β£40, and can be obtained locally. You can always return it if it does not fix the problem.

The other option, if you are still in a contract, is to ask BT for a repacement hub, to see if its any better.

0 Ratings