cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 11 of 16

Re: Avaya 9650 VoIP Phone problems with Smart Hub 6

Didn't want to go down the route of changes routers because my existing phone has been working fine for 18 months and now 2 replacement phones don't work.
So now I've shared my internet connection on a laptop and connected the phone to the laptop and it works. Very strange
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

@G1ggs wrote:
Didn't want to go down the route of changes routers because my existing phone has been working fine for 18 months and now 2 replacement phones don't work.
So now I've shared my internet connection on a laptop and connected the phone to the laptop and it works. Very strange

That is interesting, because Internet Sharing has its own DHCP range which it assigns to any sharing device.

This would tend to indicate that your new phones are not getting the correct network parameters from the HH6 DHCP server, or the HH6 DHCP server does not like the request from the phone,

Is there an option on the phone, to manually set a static IP address? This should be available, as some corporate networks do not use DHCP for VOIP phones?

0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 13 of 16

I also thought it was something with DHCP address it was getting. The hub offers IP's in the range .64 - .253. I'll try setting a static IP on the phone later within this range and if that doesn't resolve I will then try out of the range. I'm not sure if this is new or I've not noticed it but there is a 'Authoritative DHCP' setting which is set to 'On' I'll try toggling this off also. Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

Its more likely to be the  subnet that is wrong.  Your colleague who is with Virgin, would be connecting to 192.168.0.xxx, as that is what Virgin use.

The home hubs use 192.168.1.xxx .

If you set it up manually, do not select an address within the home hub DHCP range.

Try these settings.

IP address 192.168.1.50

Netmask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS  192.168.1.254

I suspect that there has been a firmware change on the phones, and the home hub does not like the way that it sends its DHCP request. This type of issue has been reported before.

0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 15 of 16

Ok thanks for your help. I'll post back later with the results
0 Ratings
G1ggs
Beginner
Message 16 of 16

Finally got it working!
First I tried setting the phones IP to a static one of 192.168.1.50, Mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.1.254. That didn't change things. Then I was told that the VLAN ID on the phone should be 208 and this was set to 0. Changed this and keeping the same static IP, the phone is now working!
Still not convinced as I've tried this on other phones but for now its working.
Thanks for your help guys