Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davefran
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BBC I-Player Buffering

Go to solution

Hi, this is my first post.

We had BT Infinity broadband installed 1 week ago, speed seems to be fine up to 42mb.

We tried to use the BBC I-Player on our Sony TV during the week but all we get is buffering and freezing so we can't use it.

It is linked up via 2 home plugs to our EchoStar Freesat HD Recorder, all was working fine using BT Home Hub 2 with speeds around 4mb prior to the installation of BT Infinity? Seems to work fine on our PC?

Can anyone help

Many thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BBC I-Player Buffering

Go to solution

How is the Sony TV connected to the home hub 3, as your HD recorder is using homeplug devices?

0 Ratings
davefran
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Sony TV is connected to the EchoStar HD Freesat recorder via HDMI lead, as you mention the Home Plug is connected to the EchoStar down stairs and upstairs another Home Plug is connected to the BT Home Hub 3 Infinity.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

So the Iplayer actually runs on your Freesat receiver, I thought you were talking about an Internet connected TV running Iplayer.

Have you tried plugging your PC directly into the end of the home plug link, instead of the Freesat receiver, just to prove that its not an issue with the link?

0 Ratings
davefran
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

How would I do that?

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Here is a diagram showing what I mean. By connecting the PC to the end of the powerline link you can make sure that is not the link which is causing the buffering.

-----Image now deleted as no longer needed ----

0 Ratings
davefran
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your help, only thing is my PC is upstairs connected to the BT Homehub 3 with ethernet lead and there is only one port on the PC.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@davefran wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your help, only thing is my PC is upstairs connected to the BT Homehub 3 with ethernet lead and there is only one port on the PC.

Dave

Not sure how you are going to prove whether its the powerline link, or the actual Freesat recorder thats the issue, unless you move your PC temporarily, just to see if it happens when its connected downstairs. Or perhaps try a laptop connected at that point instead.

Have you tried resetting the powerline adapters, just in case its settings are conflicting with the HH3?

Someone did have a similar issue with Humax Foxsat recorder, this was resolved by setting a static IP address.

Connecting Humax FoxSat HD (Free Sat receiver) to your Home Hub.

0 Ratings
davefran
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

After trying several different things, I noticed somewhere on the BT help pages that if the home plug is connected to an extension lead and not plugged directly into the wall socket it can cause buffering as the extension lead causes a filtering affect, I noticed mine was in an extension lead. I shifted everything around and managed to plug the home plug into the wall socket and it now seems to be working ok.

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions.

All the best

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

So it was the home plug connection as I suspected :smileywink:

They can be badly affected by extension leads. I am pleased that you have it sorted.

0 Ratings