cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 40

BT 900 Dongle works but then disables itself after a period of time

I am running a BT 802.11ac 900 Dongle on my Windows 10 PC, which works but after a while it seems to disable itself and I have to unplug it and plug it back in, so it re-enables itself and works again.

I've checked all the settings I can think of and disabled the ablility for the computer to power off the USB save power - although this doesn't seem to be the issue.

Anyone else had this problem on Windows 10 or any other OS?

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: BT 900 Dongle works but then disables itself after a period of time

Hi pmillar1970,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.  I'm sorry to read about the problems with your dongle. Have you looked at the FAQ's on this link to see if they help with this issues 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Dongle 900 there is also contact details for the dongle helpdesk if the FAQ's don't help.

Neil

0 Ratings
ljgibbs
Beginner
Message 3 of 40

Spoke to bt helpdesk on line who then put me to the dongle helpline, the only answer i got was they are aware of the problem with the BT900 dongle and windows 10 and are working on a solution! they reckon a couple of days, That was Monday!! and stilll no call back they seem to think it is the drivers for the dongle on windows 10. will be ringing them back again tomorrow, and if still no solution then onto customer services for a refund of cost of services that i cannot use because of the reduced speed of my wifi without the Dongle!!

p.s. i have tried all the obvious solutions uninstall of drivers, re install of drivers even manual band set up but still the same>

0 Ratings
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 40

Thanks for sharing your experience - glad it's not just me (well kind of!) as I thought it was just a problem with my setup.

From what I have seen when it disables itself, there are reports of a NDIS issue when the adapter/dongle is trying to reset itself for some reason.  It can sometimes go for hours, but then other times just minutes, so not sure what triggers the problem.

I hope they do find the issue and resolve as I am also having to work with limited connectivity/speed.

Let me know how you get on or any news you hear from them.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ljgibbs
Beginner
Message 5 of 40

I now seem to have solved mine i had the thought about the fact the dongle is usb 2, and my pc being new is mainly usb 3, however i found that two ports at the rear are usb 2, so i installed the bt 900 in one of the usb 2 ports and it has been working for the last 8 hrs with no problem. Coincidence maybe, however i suspect some type of conflict with the usb 3 drivers, i will just have to wait and see

0 Ratings
Catfriend
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 40

I am having a similar problem, only it is with the BT 600 dongle after upgrading to Windows 10 from Win 7. I thought at first it might be due to a new Seagate external HD which uses a USB 3, and I read reports that this device can sometimes 'steal' the power from other USB sockets and cause wifi drop outs. I don't know if that is right, but the problem resolved once I disconnected it. However, it is back this afternoon, even though the HD is still disconnected. I haven't touched the driver for the dongle since upgrading from Win 7, and wondered if I should try the Win 8 driver. I hope BT come up with a fix.
0 Ratings
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 40

BT said to me it needed to be the Win 8 driver but it didn't help me but you might get lucky. Whatever is happening disables the adapter so a usb 2/3 driver problem sounds likely to me. Should be easy enough for BT to reproduce and fix!
0 Ratings
Zugspitze
Beginner
Message 8 of 40

Running Windows 10 Desktop PC, connected to Internet with a BT 900 dual band ac wireless dongle (using the driver designed for Windows 8.1) and a Home Hub 5.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, the wireless connection continually drops: sometimes it can lasts for hours and sometimes it can last for minutes at a time before disconnecting.

When I try to fix using the Windows troubleshooter, I get a message that the error was caused by 'DNS Gateway Not Available' and the troubleshooter re-sets the connection by re-starting the wireless adapter.

Sometimes the problem cannot be fixed by the troubleshooter and I use the BT Desktop Help application. This usually requires me to unplug and re-plug in my dongle, which usually (but not always fixes the problem).

I have done the usual fixes found on forums and suggested by BT (splitting and unsynching the 2.4/5Ghz bands, changing power management settings, etc)

My desktop PC is rapidly becoming unusable because of this problem. I have phoned BT customer service today and they are aware of this problem which must be affecting millions of people.

Their suggestion: install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. With Windows 10 having gone through such an extended, open development process, I think it is unforgiveable - and an indication of their complacency - that a large company such as BT seems totally unprepared for this eventuality.

The customer service operator recognised that there is a general compatibility problem here that many people are experiencing (presumably millions!), and said that they expect to be able to provide a general solution to the problem in 15-20 days. Presumably this means a new driver for the dongle will be available which is compatible with Windows 10. Time will tell.

I wonder if they'll have this fixed by 16 September?

0 Ratings
Gavlar_oosh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 40

has anyone found a fix to this odd problem its happing all the time for me i have tried everthing i can think of and i have tried everything i have read aswellthis is getting really annoying 

0 Ratings
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 40

Not found anything. BT seem to have admitted there's a problem and promising a new driver - last I heard through this forum was middle of September. We'll see I guess but I hope they make a big announcement through the website and forums when a fix is available as you're right it's making a mockery of the money I spent to get the fastest possible speed!!!
0 Ratings