cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetf1
Expert
Message 21 of 40

Re: BT 900 Dongle works but then disables itself after a period of time

struggled to get this working, but finally pinned it down.

For me at least (running the latest insider build) I needed to go into the device properties and disable WMM. With that done the card seems to work fine!

It would appear to be a driver bug (could be a windows bug) so it's frustrating the last driver update was from 2013! However with this change both the original windows 10 driver, and the more recent BT driver work ok.

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 22 of 40

Re: BT Dongle 900 Unable to Connect To The Network??

struggled to get this working, but finally pinned it down.

For me at least (running the latest insider build) I needed to go into the device properties and disable WMM. With that done the card seems to work fine!

It would appear to be a driver bug (could be a windows bug) so it's frustrating the last driver update was from 2013! However with this change both the original windows 10 driver, and the more recent BT driver work ok.

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 23 of 40

Re: BT Dongle 900 Unable to Connect To The Network??

Sadly I spoke too soon. Whilst the adapter remains connected with low latency, throughput is awful. On my meagre 30 Mbps connection this fancy adapter struggles to make 15 Mbps. I tried a variety of options but couldn't get it to work properly - again a BT HH 5a.

This only occured on my windows 10 pc -- my windows 7 laptop works just fine with this adapter......

Sigh. Dodgy drivers at a guess. Yet nothing from BT........

0 Ratings
Highlighted
planetf1
Expert
Message 24 of 40

Sadly I spoke too soon. Whilst the adapter remains connected with low latency, throughput is awful. On my meagre 30 Mbps connection this fancy adapter struggles to make 15 Mbps. I tried a variety of options but couldn't get it to work properly - again a BT HH 5a.

This only occured on my windows 10 pc -- my windows 7 laptop works just fine with this adapter......

Sigh. Dodgy drivers at a guess. Yet nothing from BT........

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 25 of 40

Has anyone found a working windows 10 driver? As above I can get the device working now but throughput (to a HH5a) is appaling - 15 Mbps tops. Other devices work normally.

0 Ratings
0x29A
Beginner
Message 26 of 40

I had a similar issue on Win 8.1 & 10 where the dongle wouldn't connect at all. I managed to get it working by changing one of the adapter settings.

1. Open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections
  2. Right click the wifi adapter and select properties
  3. On the adapter properties window click configure
  4. Select the advanced tab
  5. Set 'AP Compatability Mode' to 'Broader Compatability'
  6. Click Ok
  7. Disable then re-enable the wifi adapter (or unplug and plug back in)

This fixed it for me but YMMV.

0 Ratings
Dongleman
Beginner
Message 27 of 40

Hello everybody,
                                This is a possible fix for some of you. I am using the Bt 600 dongle but there's a good chance this will apply to the 900 also.
      Simply, don't have your dongle plugged in when booting up. Let your hard drive simmer down for a few minutes after boot up and only then insert the dongle.
    This method has now given me six sessions without any problems at all, whereas before there used to be a problem at every sitting (it only started happening after the free upgrade to Window 10). Worth a try, I would think. Good luck.

0 Ratings
sib4897
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 40

I've had a similar issue since changing recently to the new BT Smart Hub on a Win 10 PC where the dongle kept disconnecting, there were no other issues connecting to the hub with other devices such as iPad and Android. I updated drivers etc. but the problem persisted. I've now managed to get it working for the past few hours without any disconnections by changing one of the adapter settings.

Open Network and Sharing Centre
Click Change Adapter Settings
Right click your dongle and select Properties
Click Configure
Select the Power Management tab
Uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
Click OK
Disable then re-enable the wifi adapter (or unplug and plug back in)

I'll update if my problem returns and will be interested in knowing how you get on.
0 Ratings
sib4897
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 40

Now approaching 24 hours since making the changes and not one disconnection...
0 Ratings
delboy-lee
Contributor
Message 30 of 40

Not had any problems with my BT 900 Dongle in passed 2 years using initially Windows 7 then upgraded several months ago to Windows 10.

0 Ratings