cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_2015
Message 11 of 40

Re: BT 900 Dongle works but then disables itself after a period of time

I also have this problem with my Dell desktop running windows 8, 8.1. and 10. I have literally always had this problem.

After a seemingly random amount of time has passed my internet will just stop working and the wireless logo on the taskbar will, a few seconds later, display an error. I can fix this easily by doing the following:-

1. Right clicking the wireless logo and clicking troubleshoot problems. The computer will then reset the adapter and it will work fine shortly afterwards.

2. I can manually enter the network adapter settings screen of control panel, and right click to disable and then re-enable the adapter

3. I can physically unplug the adapter and then plug it in a few seconds later.

Basically it's a driver issue. It's 100% the dongle and not any computer or setting. This problem can be reproduced on literally any computer running any version of Windows. I've heard the problem may be limited to USB3 ports only and does not happen with USB2 ports, but that's just a rumour and doesn't help me anyway because my computer only has USB3 ports.

Given that it's a problem that has existed on all computers and all versions of windows, I wouldn't hold your breath for a driver update to fix this. No driver update they have provided has ever fixed this before, so I'm not sure why they would start fixing it now.

It's a shame because the dongle is superb and gives me excellent signal on a par with an ethernet connection. It's just frustrating that every few hours it stops working and I have to spend a minute or two resetting it. I can and have been living with this problem for over a year however, and expect to have to do so for the life of the device. For me the performance benefits outweigh the irritation it causes by not working for a few mins every few hours.

0 Ratings
bcohen648
Message 12 of 40

I have the same problem and tried BT Help but did not get a solution. Would really like to cure this problem. Is there a Windows 10 driver for this dongle? When it drops out I pull the dongle out and reinsert it. Faster than waiting for it to reconnect itself.

0 Ratings
amadams916
Message 13 of 40

Can't believe this is STILL an issue. W10 has been around for several months and still no new driver.  I have problems with variable download speeds the best 1Mbps which is pathetic compared to what I was getting on W7 and only stays at that speed for a few seconds before It then gets gradually slower until I get speeds slower than an old dial-up connection - I'm not joking.  It then disconnects and I have to unplug it and plug back in and the whole cycle starts again.  I've been patiently waiting for a new driver, but am really fed up now as it has rendered my desktop almost redundant.  I'm going to buy a Win10 compatible network adapter, and on principle will choose a new broadband provider when my contract is up.  Really poor show, BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 40

Assuming you are correct and that it is the drivers that are the problem, have you tried the Windows 8 driver

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48625/c/1243/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQ2OTA3MDM0L3Np...

0 Ratings
amadams916
Message 15 of 40

Yes, i've downloaded the windows 8 driver.  I've updated the network drivers for my motherboard and tried it in USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

0 Ratings
amadams916
Message 16 of 40

I've just bought a NETGEAR A6210, downloaded the Windows 10 driver from the support page of the Netgear website and hey presto - no more network drop out issues and good download speeds again.  BT - Get your act together!  Now to get some money back by flogging the BT 900 Dongle on eBay....

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 40

Hi there, i know it's been a while since you posted, but I updated my Windows 10 version to 10586 and after 9 hours the adapter is still working.

To update go to settings > Update & Security > Check for Updates

if the update doesn't show use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 and click the "Upgrade Now" button, download and run

the tool will download build 10586 and upgrade your system, if your wireless connection fails during the download, just re-plug adapter in and download will just resume, once update is complete hopefully your adapter is working perfectly

0 Ratings
bomberh
Message 18 of 40

BT Dongle 900 Unable to Connect To The Network??

I have recently been using a Home Hub 4 with a BT dongle 600. This has been working fine for me for a couple of years. at long last Infinity will be coming my way in a month or so, so I have upgraded my Home hub to a 5 and also purchased a BT dongle 900.

The home hub 5 connected without a problem. When it came to the dongle 900, I installed the Windows 10 V2 drivers and when the setup instructions asked to plug in the 900, I did. The blue light came on and I went to my wireless connection. I saw my HH5 and followed the connection with the password etc. Clicked connect and it just showed secure............and nothing happened, no connection or nothing.

I tried it again, this time it stated that it was varifying the connection, then stated that 'unable to connect to this network'.

All my other wifi enabled equipment connects fine to the home hub.

I made sure that I got the latest drivers for the 900 which was the Windows 10 v2 drivers for my Windows 10 PC. Device manager shows that it is working correctly and the device drivers are correct and the best available. The device is enabled and working. I have plugged it into a USB 3 and then into a USB 2 port same problem. Re-installed the drivers, still the same issue.

I have also used the direct connect feature on the hub, it found my 900 but then gave me the the same message of 'unable to connect to this network'.

If I plug in my old 600, I click connect, it verifies the connection and shows connected secured and I'm connected to the HH5 and the internet.

At the moment I am using the 600 which is working well with the HH5, but I wanted the 900 to work with it as it has the updated features a/c etc.

I am getting really annoyed with the 900!! Does anyone know why this 900 will not connect if everything else is working correctly?

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 19 of 40

Re: BT Dongle 900 Unable to Connect To The Network??

Interestingly I pulled out my BT Dongle 900 that had been sat unused for a few months -- after upgrading my home router from a HH5 to a TPLink Archer VR900. Ok the usb dongle can't manage that speed but I thought I'd retry it as the latency is a little lower than my old bT powerline adapters, and throughput should be better

I got exactly the same as you - on Windows 10 (insider, fast).

I subsequently reinstalled my windows 10 desktop, and after this still get the same behaviour, the 900 just doesn't seem to want to connect to any wifi network. I can only assume bad drviers, perhaps incompatible with latest updates?

0 Ratings
planetf1
Expert
Message 20 of 40

Re: BT Dongle 900 Unable to Connect To The Network??

<deleted . incorrect info>

0 Ratings