cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anita777
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

BT Access Control - can my son get around it?

Go to solution
Hi,

I want to block internet access to my sons computer and phone, and have used BT Access Control on the Bt Home Hub. However, he's abit of a computer geek and I think he may have got around it as there are lots of new devices been added since blocked it. Can he get around it by changing something on his computer if it's blocked? If so, how can I stop this?
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Access Control - can my son get around it?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

BT Access control is very basic, and easily circumvented by someone with a bit of knowledge, It relies on the hardware MAC address which can easily be spoofed, which is why you see new devices appearing.

There is little you can do. You could use the network based BT Parental controls, and restrict access to all except a few sites, but that would affect all devices and you would need to override it every time you needed access yourself.

You can specify "homework times" during which period access is restricted to many gaming and social media sites.

0 Ratings
Anita777
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. I thought this would be the case. I would just pull the plug but don't want it to affect my other son. Is there not a way to block new devices from being added/gaining access?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Not on any of the BT Home hubs. Some third party routers may have this facility, but again, they have to rely on identifying a device, and the only reliable way is by the MAC address, which as I have said, can be spoofed.

There are better solutions, but they would depend on whether your son connects via a wireless connection, or an Ethernet connection?

If it wireless, then you could add an additional wireless access point which could be switched off using a timeswitch.

You change the wireless password on the home hub, and then enter the new password into your other son`s  computer.

You then connect the one you want to restrict, to the new wireless point.

Using this BT kit may be one answer. This has Ethernet ports as well.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

You put the timeswitch on the end that plugs into the home hub, you would have to make it inaccessible so it could not be turned on again.

Any device that you want to restrict, would need to connect to the hotspot only.

Once the power is disconnected from the home hub end, all access to the hotspot, both Ethernet and wirelees, will be lost.

Thar relies on keeping the new home hub wireless password secret, and not allowing physical access to the home hub or switch.

0 Ratings
Anita777
Beginner
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
They both use Ethernet cables. We have one Ethernet cable plugged in to the router which leads to a plug socket device. Then they both have the same thing in their bedroom, an Ethernet cable from a plug socket device which then leads to their computers.
Would I be able to stop one without it affecting the other child's?
0 Ratings
Anita777
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution
I see what you mean now. I wouldn't be able to restrict physical access, he would figure it out and just wait for us to be out of the room.

Thanks for trying.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Not in this case, as they both feed from the same powerline type device, and you cannot add any other powerline device to an existing one.

I can`t think of any way around it, unless any other forum members have suggestions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Far be it for me to tell you how to deal with your son but you may find taking his devices off him until he learns the house rules might have an impact. There may be tantrums to start with but if you allow access at certain times he may come to realise that some access is better than no access.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Putting my grumpy old man hat on, I'm afraid parenting by technology is never going to work.

0 Ratings
Anita777
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution
He only uses his P.C. so blocking access would've been easier than taking his pc out of his room.
And unfortaunely licquorice, it seems that internet access is the only thing he seems to care much about at the moment.
0 Ratings