Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morrig47
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Broadband Extender Flex Data Light Off

Go to solution

I have a BT Broadband Extender Flex and 2 x BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 working with a BT Home Hub 4. This setup has worked successfully for several months. Now the Data light on the Extender Flex has gone off, thus both Home Hubs are not operational.

Thus far I gave reset both to Factory Settings and reset the Home Hub with no luck. I have followed every step in the guide and FAQs. As an experiment I connected the Home Hotspot to the Home Hub via ethernet and connected the Extender Flex where the Home Hub was originally located. In this case the Data light light on both came on and worled. That is fine, but I cannot use the Extender Flex as a Home Hub replacement, though at least I know the Data Light can come on.

I would welcome any advice on this.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
morrig47
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Broadband Extender Flex Data Light Off

Go to solution

Now resolved. I did not follow the instructions in exactly the right way so I will outline where I went wrong in case someone has the same issue.

If the Data light stays off even after a reset then after it is correctly plugged into the wall socket:

1. Press the Linkbutton on the extender for 5-8 secs then remove finger from the button and wait for the power light to go back to steady green.

2. Press the Linkbutton again, this ime for 1 second.

3. Within 2 mins press the Linkbutton on one of the Home Hubs for 1 sec to complete the connection.

Hopefully the power and data lights on both the Extender and Home Hub will be back on.

The key thing I did not do was remove my finger from the Linkbutton after 5-8 sec on part 2!

Apologies for posting such a very simple error, but who knows it might help someone in a similar predicament!

Danzo1
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
thank you for your post. Worked a treat, as driving me crazy as I have been experiencing problems with this and reporting it and nobody gave me a solution from bt. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Tony8ken71
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you so much was doing the same thing sorted know cheers
0 Ratings
BLKBRD37
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I have 2 BT Broadband Extenders 500. Why do I get no DATA light on either, except for about 15 seconds after I plug them in?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Picsync
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Brilliant thanks! I had tried everything I thought but your routine worked first time.

Thanks again.

PS I have printed your post to keep for ref!!

0 Ratings
Vinnie77
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
This sounds like it’s helped lots of people. I’ve been trying it but it hasn’t worked so far. I’m trying to sort out my mum’s bt vision box which used to work perfectly but now doesn’t. The data light on the broadband extender flex is not on so I suspect from reading your posts that this may be the problem.
When you say ‘hub’, are you referring to the router? Our router is a long way from the tv but it used to work so not sure why now it doesn’t as nothing has changed.
If anyone can help, I’d be so grateful....
Lavinia
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@Vinnie77

There could be issues with the type of extender you are using, as BT only recommend the Mini Connectors.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

0 Ratings
Vinnie77
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Hi Keith
Thanks for the quick response.
The BT broadband extender flex is what bt installed when they first set it up and it worked.
Is it necessary to buy a different connector? Have they changed/been updated?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@Vinnie77 wrote:
Hi Keith
Thanks for the quick response.
The BT broadband extender flex is what bt installed when they first set it up and it worked.
Is it necessary to buy a different connector? Have they changed/been updated?

Unlike the other poster on this thread, you are dealing with a BT YouView box, which does have a more stringent requirement thay the normal broadband flex extenders, as the have to reliably carry the multicast data stream which is needed by the BT YouView box to display the subscription channels.

As the BT Mini Connectors are available at a discounted price, it would be worth trying them instead of the Broadband Flex devices, do not use both at once.

Its quite possible that the performance of the flex devices has deteriorated.

0 Ratings