Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Broadband Talk - Linux

Go to solution

How can I use my Netbook running Linux Ubuntu with BT Broadband Talk?  BT Softphone appears to be Windows only, is there any other package that works?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Broadband Talk - Linux

Go to solution

If you can find a SIP client for Linux, then you can use the details from your broadband talk configuration file.

If you find a suitable client, then I can provide more information. You do not use your normal Softphone login details.

You could try Ekiga: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ekiga

0 Ratings
Coul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

I installed Ekiga, it was painless!  Can you help with the configuration details please?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, you will have to follow the instructions on the following page to extract the required information from you BBT configuration file.

It is really for an Andriod phone, but you should be able to use it on your program.

BBT info

Let me know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Coul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I now have the account settings, password, server, etc..  How does one download sipdroid?  I went to www.android.com/market and there is no mention of Spidroid, so I went to http://sipdroid.org and that list Sip[droid-2.0.1.apk which I can download but what do I do with it, my Linux PC does not recognise the apk file so I cannot go any further.  My mobile app experience is limited to pressing 'download' on my Blackberry! 

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Ignore the bit about Sipdroid, it is not relevant to Linux, only Android phones. I only pointed you to that thread so you could find out how to extract the login details and password from the BBT config file.

Provided you have entered the correct details into Ekiga, you should be able to logon to the BBT server.

I know nothing about Ekiga, but I would imagine there is a setting page or config file somewhere.
0 Ratings
Coul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

There is an Edit -> Accounts functionin Ekiga and a facility to add an SIP account which I guess is what I need, however, aligning that with the BT Broadband Talk information is a challenge as it asks for Name, Registrar, User, Authentication User and Password.  Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
From the config file, user name1 and password1 is what you will need for Authentication user and password I would guess.

Registrar may possibly be btsip.bt.com, but I am guessing a bit here. There may be a Ekiga user forum that may be able to help.

Unless anyone else has any ideas?
Coul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Well done - I am now registered!  It works too - but I have to find a way to get the computer to hang up the call!  Off to look for Ekiga forums, many thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I am really pleased that you have it all sorted. If you can make a note of how you set it all up, I am sure that other Linux users in this community would be interested. I know there are one or two here.

0 Ratings