Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wisso
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Broadband Wifi working but not Ethernet

Go to solution

BT infinity customer with Home Hub 6 I think.  Anyway last night it crashed.  Local thunder and lightning in Kent lead to various power cuts.  Woke upo this morning it's flashing purple and won't reset.

Search the internet and this community and the feedback is that the hubs aren't brilliant and a number of posts about failure following power cuts etc.

Long story short, I purchase a cheap router to see me through until BT send a replacement.

It's a TP-link.  It's up and running and connecting to all devices over wifi but for some reason it won't connect with my desktop via ethernet cable.

Not sure why - seen various possible reasons and solutions on internet but none seem to make any difference for me.

I have a feeling tha server settings/identification may not be correct from what I've done so far but can't seem to find a solution.

When I open up network properties on my desktop it says IPv4 & IPv6 not connected but which I assume may be the problem but I'm not sure how to correct.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Wisso

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broadband Wifi working but not Ethernet

Go to solution

Have you set static IP addresses in a different sub net on your devices? The default subnet for BT devices is 192.168.1.xxx, I'm not currently using a TP link but it might be using 192.168.0.xxx

If not, try entering ipconfig/release at a command prompt followed by ipconfig/renew

0 Ratings
wisso
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi

No it seems to be using 168.1

I can't do the ipconfig release/renew from the desktop becuase is says the ethernet is disconnected.

Thanks

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If it's a TP Link straight from the box then the gateway address is probably 192.168.1.1, change it to 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
wisso
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

HI

I have made this change but the ethernet connection to my desktop is still not working......

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Try disabling and then enabling your Ethernet card on your desktop. Are the data lights flashing on the router and desktop? It's possible the Ethernet card got fried when the hub did
0 Ratings
wisso
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Yes I have just found this I have collected the cable to a laptop and it works perfectly. Not sure why I didn’t think of this first time! Thanks for your help anyway

0 Ratings