cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

BT Broadband & Sky Q

Go to solution

Hi ,

I have Bt Broadband Superfast Fibre , Hub 6 and am happy with it , all our devices in the home work from Wi Fi , laptop, I Phones , TV etc

Am about to upgrade my Sky to the new Sky Q system and looking on the Sky forum it seems many are having problems with the new Sky Q box dropping connection regularly .

I think this is not confined to BT Broadband and could well be a Sky issue but it seems one fix suggested for BT Broadband users is to turn off Smart Settings in the Hub Admin menu.

This got me thinking as to what this feature actually is I have never been aware of it.

Can anyone please advise what this facility is and what I would lose if I turned it off , Im thinking it doesnt work via wi fi anyway as Ive never encountered it.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Broadband & Sky Q

Go to solution

Smart Setup is BT's online set-up wizard. Every time you connect a new device to your Hub, it guides you through setting up all the BT features and services available for that device.

It should appear as soon as you connect to the Hub and open a browser. I believe the recommendation (looking through threads on this forum), is to turn it off regardless of who provides your TV as it causes more problems than it solves full stop.

I have just had Sky Q installed plus 1 mini box and have a BT Smart Hub 2 and a Complete Wifi disc. I am on the latest firmware (Q112) which appears to be causing some people connection issues but I haven't had any at all so far. 

Sky Q 2TB box is connected via ethernet to the Smart Hub 2, the mini (which is in the room directly above), is connected wirelessly using the Sky Q mesh.

The only change I did make (prior to install), was moving the BT Hub 5gz signal off of channel 36 as that is what the Sky Q mesh defaults to.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

I have the SH2 and the SKY Q 2TB box with 3 mini boxes.  Had a few connection problems in first week with boxes dropping connection and then having to set up again.  This now has settled down and the boxes all connect and have remained connected for weeks without any problem.  they are all connected by wifi including main SKYQ box

I have smart setup turned off and the channels on fixed having turned off auto 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks.

Not very techie so will wait and see how it goes before changing channels on Hub etc as may not be necessary, have turned off the Smart Set Up though.

Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Mine has worked fine with smart turned off, and channels named seperately, never had a disconnection in about 2 years.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks Pompey,

Sorry not very technical
Is channels named separately the default setting in the Hub Manager , in other words with nothing changed ?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

The default is for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz having the same name. You can change it in the hub manager.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks Pipp

Thats what is showing in my Hub , I was trying to work out if that was what Pompey meant in his post as named separately 

In other words I would be best leaving in that setting as it has been ok with his Sky Q

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Just had another look

My channels are set to 2.4ghz - Smart Channel 11 & 5GHZ  Channel 36

So my question is should I be OK to leave like this when I get Sky Q as some people have had issues with the wi fi connection dropping , hoping just turning off the Smart will suffice , and imagine different people have had different experiences.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

from memory I think it best to move hub of channel 36 and move to another  I have mine on 44

as long as you don't have the SH2 then I would split the networks as already suggested

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-want-to-improve-my-wi-fi/how-d...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.