cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Broadband & Sky Q

Go to solution
Hi imjolly and thanks for the response.

Being a bit nervous about messing the whole thing up and not being totally sure what splitting the networks actually means or achieves in relation to Sky Q installation I think for now Ill leave well alone and see if I encounter any issues post fitting.

I am having just the 1TB box with no mini boxes , the TV and box will be in the lounge , as is the BT Hub 6 router , so maybe that will be ok ?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

if TV and SKYQ in lounge as well as router are you using ethernet connections which would solve all the possible problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

Hi

No Ethernet I’m afraid as it’s quite a long distance between the router , which BT advised me to position with the incoming main feed rather than extension socket , and the tv which is right at the other end of the lounge so it would be too disruptive and have to run along the skirting which is a no go unfortunately.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

@ROWBOTG2wrote:
I am having just the 1TB box with no mini boxes , the TV and box will be in the lounge , as is the BT Hub 6 router , so maybe that will be ok ?

Then you are worrying about nothing.

The problems some people have relate to a mini box getting a connection to the main SkyQ box. This is because the SkyQ system creates it's own wireless mesh network to connect mini boxes to the main one.

If you have just gone for the main box you don't need to do anything other than connect it to your hub as you would any other device via WiFi. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@stereohavenwrote:

@ROWBOTG2wrote:

Then you are worrying about nothing.

The problems some people have relate to a mini box getting a connection to the main SkyQ box. This is because the SkyQ system creates it's own wireless mesh network to connect mini boxes to the main one.

If you have just gone for the main box you don't need to do anything other than connect it to your hub as you would any other device via WiFi. 

Just remember to seperate and name the bands ( suggest a 5 & 2.4 suffix will do ) and make sure the Sky Q box is set to the 2.4Ghz band, it will not work on 5Ghz.

Message 16 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks Sterohaven , I believe you are correct.
Ill go with status quo and the helpful suggestion about ensuring Sky use the 2.4ghx channel.
Problem was I looked at the Sky Forum and saw a massive thread about people having Sky Q issues but didnt realise it was with mini box additions.
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

Is it any good connecting main sky q  box to a bt black disc using a Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

That’s how I run my setup. Mini boxes connect to the main box via the Sky Q 5Ghz network and then they all connect via the Ethernet cable from the Sky Q 2 TB box to a Black disc then to the SH2.  Never had any issues with mini boxes or the main box connecting to the internet, as long as the Black disc maintains connectivity with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

Hi All,

Sorry, old thread but I think I have recently solved this.

My existing setup is Sky Q 1TB box and x2 Minis. I have BT Fibre (Smart Hub 2) and BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Discs x4 (White Discs) Wifi on Router is OFF.

I could never get a stable connection to the Minis as I thought the Q system did not like anything other than Sky Broadband Mesh Wifi.

After some config changes, I have managed to get stability:

- Turn on just 2.4hz WiFi on Smart Hub 2 (create a separate network name)

- Change Mode to '2'

- Add main Sky Q box to new Wifi

- Add remaining Minis to new Wifi

- I found I did not need to change Sky boxes to 'only 2.4hz' within hidden menu - but this might help others.

This seems to have given me stability. All remaining devices in my house run off the Whole home discs on both (auto) 2.4hz & 5hz - Separate Wifi network.

I hope this helps those that don't want to go down the ethernet route (and Smart Hub is relatively near their Sky equipment)

Thanks