cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
master811
Message 1 of 10

BT Broadband with non BT Home Hub

As of yesterday, or maybe even the night before, our broadband (and BT vision) which has been working perfectly for months, no longer works with a Thomson TG585 router.  I have a friend with the same setup and they also now have the same problem.  Using the normal BT home hub, works fine, so I know there is nothing wrong with the connection itself.

Have BT done anything to their network to stop non BT routers connecting to it?  Or added passwords etc to the ADSL authentication as there has never needed to be one.

I know the username in the ADSL should be set to broadbanduser@btbroadband.com with a blank password, and the router gets an IP address, but there is no connection going through.  Pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8 doesn't work either, so I know it isn't a DNS issue.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Broadband with non BT Home Hub

Hi the username needed is bthomehub@btbroadband.com only use a pass word if the router asks for one
0 Ratings
master811
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

I did actually try this as well, but the broadbanduser@btbroadband.com has been working for months, so why would it suddendly stop now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

No reason I have just checked a friends router and thatis working fine using that login
0 Ratings
master811
Message 5 of 10

If the router does ask for a password, what would I use?  Can it just be anything?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

anything you like will work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
badgeb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Bt website say on this issue"............Sorry, we can't provide support for equipment you've bought from other suppliers. If you are having problems with equipment purchased from another supplier, please consult the manual or user guide supplied with the equipment or contact the vendor for advice. Hints on configuring a non-BT router You need to ensure that your router is configured to work on ADSL lines in the UK. Within your router's settings you will need to input a telephone number or VPI/VCI standard. In both cases you should check that this is set to 0,38. Most ADSL routers supplied for sale in the UK will be pre-set to this. You also require your BT Broadband username. This was given to you at the time you orderd broadband and is usually made up of your.name@btbroadband.com where 'your' equals your first name and 'name' equals your surname, for example joe.bloggs@btbroadband.com. BT Broadband does not require that you enter a password to connect, but some routers won't connect to the Internet without a password. If this is the case, enter the word BT....... I have similar issue to solve tomorrow as I just bought a draytek 2710 to replace my hh3. Bob
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Hi I suggest you enter bthomehub@btbroadband .com that works every time and a password of your choice if prompted for one
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

It can be anything before the @btbroadband.com Smiley Wink

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
brianzion
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

0 Ratings