Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

BT DNS Cache Issues for our website - Users cannot access still

Go to solution

Hi All, is there anyone on this forum who works for BT ?

I work for the pets4homes website ( https://www.pets4homes.co.uk) and we recently had an issue with our DNS which was resolved straight away. However BT must have cached our DNS setup when it was pointing at the wrong server.

It is now 15 hours later and many of our website users (who use BT) still cannot access our website.

Is there something that can be done at the BT side to recache our website DNS settings?  

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT DNS Cache Issues for our website - Users cannot access still

Go to solution

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As  you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

I am not actually a BT customer, the issue is that all of our website users who are BT customers cannot access our Pets4Homes.co.uk due to BT not updating their cache of our websites latest DNS settings.  Is there a network team/department in BT that you can forward our issue too please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

This is just a customer forum for BT Retail customers.

You would have to contact the ISP which provides the website connection, and ask them to contact BT Wholesale who look after the core network that BT Retail users connect to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Hi, BT is the ISP for our customers that cannot access the website.  All other users on talktalk, sky, ee etc... can access the website fine. 

That is the reason I am posting on here, I was hoping to get in touch with someone who works for BT that could refresh the DNS cache.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

To be honest by the time you can wake anybody up in BT to do anything the cache will have updated itself.

0 Ratings
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Thats what I was thinking, its very difficult to get in touch with anyone who can help.  I have asked all our BT customers who are having issues to contact BT support directly and ask them to help with the issue.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@pets4homes Sorry about the delay getting back to you, I reported this to our network team who have confirmed that the BT DNS servers are giving out the correct address for the pets4home website, however they were able to replicate the issue and suspect that the affected customers Home hub has cashed the incorrect DNS entry from yesterday.

This was resolved by restarting the Home Hub router.  If you could pass this on to any customers who are affected it should give them access to the pets4home website.

Thanks
Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks, I will let the people who contact us know and see if this resolves the issue for them.

Just out of interest, how long does the home hub cache websites/dns for?  Just wondering, as I won’t be able to contact many of our users, so wondered how long this issue could go on for, for some users who have had the error cached?

thanks

0 Ratings
pets4homes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

A lot of our bt broadband users are still saying they cannot access the website after restarting their home hub.  I've also asked them to clear their browser cache and retry.

Is there anything else they can try?

0 Ratings