Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

BT DNS Servers issue

Go to solution

I am losing internet conection and getting the following message.

"You are seeing this message because you are using at BT service which requires the use of BT DNS servers and it appears you are attempting to connect using a DNS server outside our network"

There is then a link to correct the problem - i have followed this and can fix the problem but it is only temporary.  If my computer should go to sleep or be switched off the problem comes back.

Please help to fix this permanently

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT DNS Servers issue

Go to solution

Have you tried with a different browser to see still happening

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I use Google Chrome and have done for a number of years.

I have just tried Explorer and have the same problem 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
0 Ratings
capnkeith
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

I have the same problem as the original poster. I use Chrome but it also happens with IE. I do not have parental controls setup. I am on Win 10 and use BT NetProtect Plus

I followed as advised checks with Internet Protocol Version 4 and every time it has been altered so that "Use the following DNS server address". with the address is 213.120.234.114 inserted which is not correct. if i change it to the correct address I have internet connection until pc is rebooted. If I change it to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" it will then revert back to "Use the following DNS server address". The address is 213.120.234.114, when I try to connect to the internet

Please help me to cure this problem permanently.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

If you set it so that it gets DNS adsresses automatically it will use the Homehub IP address which in turn will be given DNS server addresses dynamically when it connects so these should in theory be correct.

0 Ratings
capnkeith
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

As I tried to explain in my first post. If I set it to auto it will change back when I try to connect to the internet. To "Use the following DNS server address", and the address of 213.120.234.114 which is wrong.

It might be the theory, but in practice it is not.

The only way I can get it to work is to put the correct server address in "Use the following DNS server address". 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Why do you consider 213.120.234.114 to be 'wrong', and what do you consider to be the 'right' address? BT have many DNS servers.

Obviously if you want to use a DNS server other than a BT one, you will have to enter it manually rather than obtain the BT one automatically from the hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Hi - what both myself and the other affected user are trying to get accross js that we both wish to use "connect automaticaly" that is, as far as I can tell,  normal - however every time we close our computer or it goes to sleep the button switches to a different DNS server and we both have to go through the same tedious process of resetting every time we wish to use the internet. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

As I said previously, BT has many DNS servers, you won't necessarily get the same one every time.

0 Ratings