cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steerpike1
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT Discs, does x2 Discs provide x2 signal strength if placed in the same place?

I have an outside office in which I've placed a in single disc.  Despite being only approx 20 feet from the main hub, it's still only an orange light on the disc.  I think it's because my outside office has a very thick old wall that the signal has to penetrate.  

My limited understanding of the discs is that they work by repeating the signal from one disc to another.  Maybe a stupid question but would 2 discs in the same place (outside office) likely see an improvement in download speed or would I simply have paid for another disc for no extra benefit?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Discs, does x2 Discs provide x2 signal strength if placed in the same place?

The latter. You would be better off running a length of Cat5E  Ethernet cable rather than trying to use wireless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Discs, does x2 Discs provide x2 signal strength if placed in the same place?

@steerpike1wrote:

I have an outside office in which I've placed a in single disc.  Despite being only approx 20 feet from the main hub, it's still only an orange light on the disc.  I think it's because my outside office has a very thick old wall that the signal has to penetrate.  

My limited understanding of the discs is that they work by repeating the signal from one disc to another.  Maybe a stupid question but would 2 discs in the same place (outside office) likely see an improvement in download speed or would I simply have paid for another disc for no extra benefit?

Hi, do you have whole home wi-fi (white discs) or complete wi-fi (black discs)?

Regardless, orange light isn't necessarily a problem; it only shows that placement isn't optimum, but the effect on speed will depend on your configuration. Are you getting poor speed that makes your internet unusable when connected to your second disc? If not, then don't worry about the orange light; it's fine.

Another idea: you mention an outside office. Have you tried placing your disc inside your main house on the side facing your office. The disc doesn't need to be in the same room as your office as long as signal reaches it.

Hope this helps.

Device expertBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings